Effective Fall 2023 Liberal Studies: Legal Studies has changed the title to Law and Justice Studies. Students who declare the Law and Justice Studies major beginning Fall 2023 and later should follow the requirements below:
Law and Justice Studies
While fulfilling General Education requirements, and all other degree requirements, students must complete the following requirements for this major:
- LEG 2015/Interpreting Law and Society (3 credits)* Transfer students may substitute Introduction to Criminal Law or Introduction to Civil Law.
- Three Law and Justice Studies electives with LEG prefix (9-12 credits)
- LBS3024/Theories of Justice (4 credits)
- One upper-level (3000-4000) Law and Justice Studies elective (LEG prefix) or POL3050/American Constitutional Law. (3-4 credits)
- Two upper-level (3000-4999) Law and Justice Studies Cognate Courses (non-LEG prefix) from Humanities, Social Sciences, or Natural Sciences, from approved list below (minimum of 8 credits).
- LEG3065/Legal Research (4 credits).
- CAP4800/Senior Capstone (4 credits).
Note: Students must maintain a C- for required courses except Senior Capstone
For students who double-major in another degree program in which a Senior Project is a graduation requirement, the Senior Capstone requirement will be waived upon satisfactory completion of the Senior Project.
Total 36-39 credits
Liberal Studies: Legal Studies
While fulfilling General Education requirements, and all other degree requirements, students who are currently enrolled in Liberal Studies: Legal Studies (prior to fall 2023) should follow these requirements below:
- Humanities courses (15 credits)
- Natural Science courses (15 credits)
- Social Science courses (15 credits)
- Performing and/or visual arts courses (6 credits)
- Legal Studies Electives (15 credits)
- Upper Level courses
- Social Sciences (12 credits) including LEG3065/Legal Research
- One of the following
- LEG3020/Law and Family
- LEG3185/The Nature and Function of Law
- POL3050/American Constitutional Law
- Humanities or Natural Science Electives (8 credits)
- CAP4800/Senior Capstone (4 credits)
Total: 90 credits