Achieve personal vocal growth by learning a healthy vocal technique!
HAVE FUN working on solos and groups songs, playing theater games, and participating in master classes and lively discussions about style and performance techniques
Discover how to be an engaging, dynamic performer
Learn about phrasing, expression, interpretation, dynamics, vowel color, diction and tone quality
Understand how to approach a song from the basic learning stages—accuracy of notes and rhythms—through to a polished, thoughtful, and musical performance of the song
Explore vocal technique by doing a variety of exercises designed to tone and strengthen your voice and help you reach your full and true potential
Emerge with a true sense of your own vocal possibilities, musicianship, style, and artistry
9:30 - 10:15 am
We hit the ground running daily with a 45 minute to an hour group vocal warm-up and technique session that includes upper body stretching and breathing exercises.
10:15 am - 12:00 pm
Performance and Music Practice/Technique
Each day we will delve into any combination of the following:
- Music theory: notation, theory practice sheets;
- Rhythmic and harmonic exercises/games, conducting, beginning sight reading;
- Approaching your song: learning what every mark on the page means;
- Discuss and learn about different singing styles and analyze popular singing artist’s voices and performing styles;
- Musical Bag of Knowledge: over 65 musical ideas and terms will be introduced and discussed daily and you will practice these throughout the session. Your bag, which will be filled with an immense amount of musical knowledge, will be yours to keep and use as you pursue your singing!
12:00 - 1:00 pm
1:00 - 3:30 pm
- Warm-ups and stretching;
- Solo song learning and coaching - incorporate techniques learned in morning session as you work on solo pieces both with the instructor and in master class style;
- Work on group songs;
- Various lectures/discussions apropos to imminent vocal needs of students.
Interested in Undergraduate Music Programs at Purchase College?
On-Campus Program Details
YTH 9351/Vocal Intensive
Session II: July 12 – July 23
Monday – Friday, 9:30 am – 3:30 pm (10 on-campus sessions)
$1200 for the first registration
$1080 for the second registration in the family, Purchase College employees and alumni, and early registrations (received by May 7, 2021)