Minor in Visual Arts
The minor in visual arts is designed to provide students in other disciplines with an understanding of visual arts processes, issues, and skills.
Prerequisite: One visual arts studio course and one art history course
Academic Requirements for the Minor in Visual Arts
- In addition to the two prerequisite courses listed above, a total of 12 credits in visual arts studio courses are required. These are to be chosen in consultation with the academic advisor in the School of Art+Design.
- A maximum of 4 transfer credits may be counted toward these academic requirements. All studio courses must be completed with a grade of C or higher to count toward the minor.
Applying for Admission to the Minor
An application and review process is required for admission to the minor in visual arts; acceptance is not automatic. To apply, students must have completed the prerequisite courses and must submit the following to the School of Art+Design main office (Visual Arts Building, second floor):
- a completed Application for Minor Study
- a written statement
- a portfolio (submitted online via Slideroom.com or USB; see the Application for Minor Study for details)
For more information, please refer to the Application for Minor Study. If you still have questions, please call the School of Art+Design, (914) 251-6750.
Updates to the 2016–18 Purchase College Catalog:
Effective Fall 2017:
- The prerequisite has changed from 3 credits in visual arts studio courses and 4 credits in art history courses to one visual arts studio course and one art history course.
- An advising transcript is no longer required as part of the application process (11/02/17 update).