Dreaming of being an actor? Explore, develop, and grow your creative potential in this exciting program!
Welcome back to the Purchase College campus! Explore and develop your creative potential in acting, and immerse yourself in the exciting world of acting, theatre arts, and film!
Experiment with the building blocks of performance through weekly classes in improvisation, observation, and exploration into character development, monologues, poetry, speeches, audition pieces, and scene study.
Learn through the audition, rehearsal, and performance process. Voice and movement, expressive arts techniques, mindfulness, concentration, and relaxation, as well as theater/acting games, serve as our foundational warm-ups, explorations, and techniques in each class.
Writing, observing film clips, and voice-over acting will also be a part of the class exploration and discussion.
Experience the importance of collaboration and ensemble work as well as identifying and developing individual talents and skills.
Working with the Young Actors instructor / mentor / director, you will learn fundamental acting techniques, styles, and skills. Script choices are made from age-appropriate youth theatre repertoire and created by members of the class with direction and mentorship by the instructor.
This class culminates in final performance projects drawn from original, classic, and contemporary works.
- Each day will begin with a group warm-up, focusing, reflection, sharing and journal entry exercises.
- In the morning, students will receive instruction and engage in Movement, Mindfulness, Voice, Speech, Acting, Music and Improvisation, imagination, creative process and observation skills.
- Afternoons are spent enhancing skills and rehearsing for the end of session performance. Students will dive deeper into the mentoring process through the learning and rehearsing of the material for the song/dances and scenes.
- Some rehearsals may also take place in the mornings and will serve as a context for further instruction, exploration and deepening of skills.
- At the end of each day, there will be another short time for meditation, relaxation and reflection to allow for integration of the day’s activities.
YTH 9157 / Young Actors and Performers
Session II: July 11 – 22
Monday – Friday, 9:30 am – 3:30 pm (10 sessions)
$1,200 for the first registration
$1,080 for the second registration in the family, Purchase College employees and alumni, and early registrations (paid in full by May 6, 2022)
- Please dress appropriately for class each day. Wear comfortable clothes that are appropriate for dance and fluid movement. Dance shoes or sneakers are required.
- Please have long hair pulled back with hair-bands, barrettes, or clips.
- Refillable water bottles are recommended.
- All students should have a yoga mat, a pencil, highlighters, and a 3-ring binder (to journal in and for printed materials).
At the end of the two-week session, students will perform memorized scenes, musical songs and dances for invited family and friends. They will be asked to provide minimal costume suggestions and simple props. The performance will be done without a set, sound or stage lighting in order to feature the actors’ work, showcase the student’s skills and celebrate their creative talent!