The U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs GI Bill®/Education Benefits site contains detailed information on the various chapters and directions on how to apply for benefits:

U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs/GI Bill®—Education Benefits:

Please note:

  • Veterans who are eligible for benefits described in Chapters 30, 32, 35, 1606, and 1607 have monthly benefits checks sent to their home address. Students eligible under these Chapters must then pay the college bill themselves.
  • Benefits for veterans who are eligible under Chapter 31 and Chapter 33 are sent directly to the college.
  • Veterans Affairs Contact Information
    • 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) for education benefit information
    • 1-800-827-1000 for all other benefits or Visit the U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs for more information
    • Eastern Regional Processing Center: VA Regional Office P.O. Box 4616 Buffalo, NY 14240-4616

Other Important Information

To claim educational benefits, discharged veterans must provide the Office of the Registrar with a copy of their Certificate of Release of Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form 214) and eligibility letter. Upon submission of all appropriate forms, the Office of the Registrar will automatically submit your enrollment certification to the Dept. of Veterans Affairs each semester.

Undergraduate students registering for and maintaining a minimum of 12 credits per semester will receive full veterans benefits. Graduate students registering for and maintaining a minimum of 9 credits will also receive full benefits.

Students must notify Paul Arroyo, the certifying official at Purchase College, if any changes are made to their schedule that will result in a drop from full-time status. He can be reached at or (914) 251-6368.

Grades of I (incomplete) and W (withdrawn) are reported to the VA and result in an over-payment to the institution. The student is responsible for reconciling any balance.