To determine if you are eligible for in-state tuition, please review the SUNY Guide to Resident Tuition Policy. If you meet the qualifications in the guide, please download and submit Purchase’s NYS Residency Application. The application for Fall 2019 will be available to complete from May 2019 - August 2019.

Applications and supporting documentation should be submitted to:

Student Financial Services
Student Services Building, 1st floor
Mon - Fri: 9 am - 5 pm
Phone: (914) 251-7000, opt. 2

email: financialservices@purchase.edu

fax: 914-251-6356


Fall 2019 Semester  - August 30th, 2019 

Each individual SUNY campus is responsible for determining a student’s residency status and tuition charges, and the campus determination is final.

Residency guidelines for the purpose of receiving a New York State TAP grant are not affected by any college residency determination. Residency for TAP purposes is determined solely by New York State HESC.

Typically students who meet the criteria below are eligible for New York State tuition:

  • You are an emancipated U.S. citizen or permanent resident
  • Your domicile (a fixed, permanent home to which you intend to return) has been in the State of New York for a period of at least 12 months immediately preceding the time of registration.
    • Your domicile is that of your custodial parent(s) or legal guardian.
    • If your parents are divorced or legally separated:
      • The custodial parent is a New York State resident; or
      • You reside with a non-custodial parent who is a New York State resident and intend to continue to reside with that parent throughout your time at Purchase.

This is based on the information you provided during the admissions process. If you are classified as a non-resident (out of state), you can request reclassification by submitting a residency application and supporting request with documentation.

Completed residency applications should be submitted to the Office of Student Accounts prior to registration (the last day of add/drop) for the semester in which tuition is due. Residency applications received after the end of the add/drop period will be considered for the following term.

Applying for Residency

In order to apply for residency you must complete the following:

  1. Review residency requirements: SUNY Guide to Resident Tuition Policy.
  2. Complete the Application for New York State Residency Status for Tuition Billing Purposes
  3. Submit all required documentation from the residency checklist.

Acceptable Documents:   

  • Alien Registration Card or Visa (Non-U.S. Citizens only) Permanent Residents, Refugees and Asylees, including those with pending applications, certain visa holders* and some undocumented aliens may establish NYS residency in accordance with these policies.

* A1-A3, E1, E2, G1-G5, H1B, H1C, H4, I, K1-K4, L1 and L2, N8 and N9, O1, O3, S5-S7, T1-T4, U1-U4, and V1-V3.

Documents Used to Demonstrate Domicile
At least three must be submitted, but more documents may be requested.
  • NYS Driver License
  • NYS Identification Card (DMV Issued )
  • NYS Vehicle Registration
  • NYS Voter Registration
  • Signed New York State Residential Lease or Deed (At least 12 months prior to the start of the semester)
  • New York State Resident Income Tax Return (from prior year.)
  • NYS Bank Account (must be a currently held account: one current statement and one statement issued 12 months prior to the start of the semester.)
Documents Used to Demonstrate Financial Independence
In addition to documents used to demonstrate domicile.
  • New York State and Federal Income Tax Returns (from prior year)
  • TA/GA Departmental Offer Letter With Signatures (Graduate Students)
  • W-2 and 1099 statements

Exceptions to the Domicile Rule

  • Military Home of Record – Form DD-4(dependents and spouses of full-time active members of the U.S. armed forces stationed out-of-state, whose Home of Record is New York State).
  • Active Duty Military Orders (members of U.S. armed forces on full-time active duty and stationed in New York state and their spouse and dependents).
  • S. Military Identification and/or Uniformed Services Identification and Privilege Card.
  • Official/Final High School Transcript from New York State demonstrating continuous enrollment for a minimum of two years with proof of graduation.
  • Affidavit of Intent to Legalize Immigration Status.

At least three (3) documents must support the claim to have permanently resided in New York State for at least 12 consecutive months prior to the beginning of the semester or term you are applying for.

For unemancipated students the source of the documents may be the student, parent, guardian, or spouse. For emancipated students the source of the documents must be the student.


If you wish to appeal your residency decision may do so by submitting additional information in support of your claim.  Written appeals should be sent to:

Purchase College Residency Appeals Committee
c/o Caitlin Read, Dean of Enrollment Management
735 Anderson Hill Road
Purchase, NY 10577

Your appeal will be reviewed by the Purchase College Residency Appeals Committee.  Upon review, you will receive a decision.  Decisions made by the Residency Appeals Committee are final.