Purchase Noted as a Green College
We’ve been recognized for our commitment to the environment in our campus policies, programs, and practices in the most recent 2023 edition of the Princeton Review’s Guide to Green Colleges.
More than 25 data points were analyzed in the selection of schools for the guide and ranking list, including uses of renewable energy, recycling and conservation programs, the availability of environmental studies in academic offerings, and career guidance for green jobs.
Sustainability at Purchase
Purchase College has demonstrated its commitment to sustainability for many years.
Presidents Climate Commitment
In 2007, former President Thomas J. Schwarz was an original signatory of the American College and University Presidents Climate Commitment (ACUPCC). This commitment set the tone for a sustainability standard on campus.
UGC and SDG
In 2021, the college officially signed the United Nation’s University Global Coalition (UGC), which enlists globally engaged colleges and universities to work in partnership for a more sustainable future. The effort focuses on the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDG).
These goals are designed to help tackle the planet’s most urgent challenges and form an umbrella over the college’s operations and activities.
Visit our SDG site to learn more.
Select Campus Projects
- Multiple clean energy projects, including the development of an innovative thermal energy project with the New York Power Authority nearing completion.
- Investing in all-electric lawn maintenance equipment to reduce emissions and noise pollution.
- The creation of a bioswale, a natural water mitigation system.
- Building all new construction to LEED certification standards.
- Elevating sustainability in our shared governance structure.
- Creation of a new Environmental Studies course, “Introduction to Renewable Energy.”