To declare biochemistry as a major, students are required to have passed General Chemistry I and II (or the equivalent courses for transfer students) with grades of C or higher.
Other courses required for the biochemistry major, including support courses but excluding the senior project, must be completed with a grade of C- or higher. In addition to meeting General Education requirements, all biochemistry majors must complete the following requirements (83.5 credits):
Biology Courses (17.5 credits)
Go to Biology Courses for descriptions.
- BIO 1550/General Biology I: 4 credits
- BIO 1551/General Biology I Lab: 1.5 credits
- BIO 3530/Cell Biology: 4 credits*
- BIO 4620/Molecular Biology: 4 credits
- One advanced elective in biology: 4 credits minimum
*When registering for BIO 3530, biochemistry majors will need to obtain an instructor override exempting them from two prerequisites—BIO 1560 and 2890 (not required for biochemistry majors).
Chemistry Courses (36 credits)
Go to Chemistry Courses for descriptions.
- CHE 1550/General Chemistry I: 4 credits
- CHE 1551/General Chemistry I Lab: 1 credit
- CHE 1560/General Chemistry II: 4 credits
- CHE 1561/General Chemistry II Lab: 1 credit
- CHE 3150/Chemical Instrumentation and Analytical Methods: 5 credits
- CHE 3310/Organic Chemistry I: 4 credits
- CHE 3311/Organic Chemistry I Lab: 1 credit
- CHE 3320/Organic Chemistry II: 4 credits
- CHE 3321/Organic Chemistry II Lab: 1 credit
- CHE 3510/Physical Chemistry I: 5 credits
- CHE 4610/Biochemistry: 4 credits
- CHE 4611/Biochemistry Lab: 2 credits
Support Courses (18 credits)
Go to Mathematics and Physics Courses for descriptions.
- MAT 1500/Calculus I: 4 credits
- MAT 1510/Calculus II: 4 credits
- PHY 1510/Introductory Physics I: 4 credits
- PHY 1511/Introductory Physics I Lab: 1 credit
- PHY 1520/Introductory Physics II: 4 credits
- PHY 1521/Introductory Physics II Lab: 1 credit
Biochemistry Courses (12 credits)
- BCM 3880/Biochemistry Junior Seminar: 2 credits
- BCM 4880/Biochemistry Senior Seminar I: 1 credit
- BCM 4890/Biochemistry Senior Seminar II: 1 credit
- SPJ 4990/Senior Project I: 4 credits
- SPJ 4991/Senior Project II: 4 credits