The Lighthouse Program
The Wellness Center’s Lighthouse Program was started through a grant from the New York State Office of Addiction Services and Supports (OASAS). The goal of the grant is to create a supportive environment within the campus culture that reinforces the decision to engage in a lifestyle and provide an educational opportunity alongside recovery support to ensure student success.
Lighthouse Program mission statement:
Our inclusive community prioritizes creating a safe and welcoming environment for students in or exploring recovery to build a healthy and sustainable lifestyles using intentional resources, support, service, events and companionship.
The Lighthouse Program has a designated lounge on campus in Fort Awesome Room 138 for participants and allies which is called “The Harbor.” In The Harbor, students can enjoy a range of services and opportunities.
Hours that The Harbor is open:
Thursdays: 8:00pm - 12:00am
Fridays: 7:00pm - 1:00am
Saturdays: 7:00pm -1:00am
Sundays: 7:00pm - 12:00am
The Lighthouse Program is staffed by six student workers, also known as Wellness Peer Mentors, whose aim is to model and support Purchase students in this community. We want to enhance student’s wellness and help facilitate their pursuit of personal and academic goals.
What the Lighthouse Program offers students:
- Peer support
- Scholarship opportunities
- Training scholarships
- On campus support group meetings (see below)
- Substance Free Housing
- Alumni Network
- Social events
- Paid student worker positions
- A safe place to hang out on campus
- Wellness related workshops
- Service opportunities
- Leadership and professional development
- Graduation dinner
How can we help you?
- Request an ally training - learn how to effectively express support for a student in recovery
- Request to meet with a peer mentor
- If you have any questions, suggestions or would like more information please email us at:
The Harbor (Fort Awesome Room 138) currently provides weekly support meetings:
- Tuesdays: 6:00-7:00pm S.M.A.R.T. Recovery Meeting
- Wednesdays: 12:30-1:30pm Peer-led All Recovery Check in Meeting
- Thursdays: 4:00-5:00pm Happy Hour: Recovery Related Topics with Robbie
- Sundays: 7:00-8:00pm A.A. Meeting. Note meeting takes place in Wellness room 136.
Picture of the Harbor, dedicated space of the Lighthouse Program