Students who seek long-term individual counseling for substance use recovery or a treatment program are referred to local community resources.
Here are some local treatment facilities that specialize is substance recovery. All programs will require an intake assessment before you are able to begin treatment. Before you call, please read our notes on finding a provider (listed below):
Innovative Health Systems
20 Church St.
White Plains, NY 10601
914-683-8050 fax 914-683-8054
7 West Cross Street
Hawthorne, NY 10532
51 East 25th Street
New York, NY 10010
Lexington Center for Recovery
24 Smith Avenue
Mt Kisco, NY
3 Cottage Place
New Rochelle, NY
Mountainside Treatment Centers
480 North Bedford Road
Chappaqua, NY 10514
914 534 6030
243 West 18th Street
New York, NY 10011
646 965 8080
St Vincent’s Hospital
Addiction Recovery Program Outpatient Services
275 North Street
Harrison, NY 10528
Evaluation and Referral Services 855-239-0019
Prevention and Response Team 914-925-5959
- Use your insurance company’s “Find a provider” function on their website.
- Call the toll free number on the back of your insurance card for a list of providers.
- Use the website Zocdoc.com to find a provider in the area who takes your insurance and has an open appointment in the immediate future.
Keep in mind your transportation needs:
Students who will rely on The Loop bus service for off campus appointments should ask for providers in White Plains or Port Chester. Students with other means to get off campus can ask for a list of therapists near Purchase, NY.
Prepare to call providers to schedule an appointment
Before making the call: who do you need? psychiatrist (a medical doctor) or psychiatric nurse practitioner to prescribe medication; a therapist to provide mental health counseling; a treatment program; or all of these options
- Have your insurance information at hand
- Have a list of symptoms for which you are seeking help
- Know the days and times you are available for appointments
Calling the provider:
Be ready to leave a message with your name and number – many providers in private practice have answering services and will call you back; be prepared to call more than once.
When you are speaking with a provider or clinic staff:
- Verify that the provider takes your insurance
- If they do not take insurance, ask for a Sliding Scale fee
- Ask how long each session will be
- Ask if there is a separate fee for intake than for the follow up sessions
- Ask how much your co-pay (your out-of-pocket fee each session) will cost
- Ask if there is paperwork that you need to fill out before your first session
- If you have had previous treatment and you want continuity of care, be prepared to share your previous treatment
- providers contact information and to sign a consent to release information.