Information and Guidelines
Summer Success Fellows 2018
General Information and Guidelines
Overview of Schedule
Wednesday, July 18
8:00 am - 8:30am Housing check-in:
Location: Outside Farside Residence Hall
Receive your housing assignment, key and drop off your belongings
You can park in the East 3 parking lot to easily access the Farside Residence Hall (make your first right onto the East Loop once you enter campus). You can then walk to the PAC for the college orientation program or drive over to parking lot West 1 near the PAC.
8:30am - 9:30am College Orientation Check-in and Breakfast:
Location: Performing Arts Center (PAC)
6:00pm Success Fellows Kick-Off and Dinner
Location: Buffer, Admissions Building
Final Day, Saturday, July 21
1:00pm - 2:00pm Final presentation and wrap up with Fellows and parents
Location: Humanities Building Lobby and Lecture Hall 1032
Parents are encouraged to join students for a final presentation and program highlights.
2:00pm End of program/check-out of housing:
Location: Farside Residence Hall
Breakfast, lunch and dinner is provided on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and brunch on Saturday. Students may want to bring some light snacks and money to purchase snacks outside the provided meals if desired.
The Success Fellows Program consists of seven peer mentors who will also be residing in the residence hall. This student staff will work with you to make your experience a positive one. Their role is to:
- Provide feedback to the Success Mentors and other program staff regarding student progress and needs.
- Develop and monitor social interaction and extracurricular activities.
- Handle emergency situations and review discipline problems with the Dean of Student Success.
- Provide feedback and assistance to students.
- Enforce rules/regulations regarding residence hall behavior.
- Build and encourage group cohesiveness for student/program success.
- Represent the Purchase community and orient the 1st year student to resources and opportunities.
Staff Success Mentor
Fellows meet with their assigned Staff Success Mentor twice individually over the course of the program. Staff Success Mentors can provide additional support for students’ transition to college and assistance for navigating Purchase College.
Access & Accommodations
If disability-related accommodations (e.g. alternate format materials, communication access, dietary, etc.) are needed to participate fully in the Success Fellows Program, contact the Access and Accommodations Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 914-251-6035 by July 5th. You can also contact the office for more information regarding the accommodation process during the academic year.
The Summer Success Program is designed to introduce you to the college environment and to help maximize your potential for academic and personal growth while at Purchase College. In order to fulfill the objectives of the Summer Fellows Program, the following regulations must be observed:
- Attendance: Class, workshop and other scheduled activities: You are required to attend all classes, workshops and program meetings. The only excused absences are for personal illness (you must report to the Student Health Center and be cleared to miss workshops or program meetings). An important part of succeeding in college is attendance at class and other programs. Staff will monitor attendance for the Success Fellows Program. Plan to arrive 5 minutes prior to the beginning of class/scheduled activities.
- Class/Workshop Decorum: It is unacceptable for students to engage in any form of disruptive behavior. Students should be alert, attentive, and respectful of their workshop leaders, classmates and themselves. Hats, sunglasses, cell phones and iPods are prohibited in the classroom.
- Curfew/Courtesy Hours are observed and are in effect 24 hours a day. If asked by another resident or Peer Mentor to keep noise down, students are expected to comply as a courtesy to others. Students must be in their residence hall by 11:00 p.m. each evening and in their room by 12:00 midnight.
- Guest Policy: Non-Program participants are not allowed in the residence halls or on campus during the Success Fellows Program. The drop off of any items must be pre-arranged with the Student Success Office at (914)251-5928
- Students must keep their rooms locked at all times.
- All students must leave campus Saturday afternoon, July 22. Please make appropriate travel/pick-up arrangements, but NOT for earlier than 2pm.
- All students are responsible for the keys to their room. Loss of keys will result in a $160.00 fine, which must be paid at check-out time. One’s room should be left in the same condition it was found. Before leaving your room at the end of the program, remove all possessions and clean your room and remove garbage to closest disposal area. Lock your door, return your key, and sign out. Damaged room and/or furnishings, keys lost or unreturned, and rooms left dirty will result in damage fees.
In addition to summer regulations, students are governed by rules set forth by the college. For further information, please refer to the Office of Community Standards website section on the college’s Student Code of Conduct.
The purpose of regulations are to establish an atmosphere which allows you to further develop a sense of respect for yourself, fellow students and the Summer Program staff and faculty and ensure you ready of college and ready for your role as a Success Fellow!
What to Bring
These are suggestions of things you may wish to bring to the Summer Success Fellows Program:
Please keep in mind that you will be here for 3 1/2days. (You must bring your own sheets, pillow, towels and pillowcase).
- Blankets, sheets, pillow, pillowcase, towels (required)
- Alarm Clock
- Desk Lamp
- Fan - it can get very warm in the Residence Halls! There is no air conditioning.
- Personal toiletries/Shower footwear
- Notebook, pens, pencils
- Money for snacks, public phones, miscellaneous
- Bottled water/beverages/ snacks as needed
- Necessary medication (notify staff prior to attending)
- A sweater or sweatshirts for the air-conditioned classrooms.
- All items of value are locked in your room when you are away from the residence hall.
- Students may bring cell phones, ipads/tablet computers, ipods however, they are not necessary for the program and must be keep locked in your room for most of the program. No cell phones or ipads/tablet computers are allowed to be brought to classes or workshops unless notified prior to the class/workshop.
Materials for Talent Show On Friday night the Peer Mentors will be organizing a talent show. Bring any items you may need to participate, i.e. costumes, music, guitar, magic trick items, etc. We hope many of the Fellows will participate, but for those that do want to showcase one of their talents, you will be able to cheer your fellow Fellows on.
DO NOT BRING:
- Computers, laptops
The college is not responsible for any lost or damaged items.
- Parking is available on campus but you will need to purchase a campus parking permit. Please let us know prior to your arrival if you plan to leave your car on campus by emailing email@example.com or calling 914-251-5928.
- You will not be permitted to use your vehicle during the Summer Success Fellows Program.