Math Fluency and Foreign Language Placement Guidelines
Certain courses require a prerequisite of math fluency, which may be fulfilled by any one of the following:
- passing the math fluency exam conducted at the college (students can access that exam through Moodle)
- a passing grade in college-level precalculus and/or calculus
- an Advanced Placement score of 3 or higher on the AP Calculus exam
Students must fulfill this requirement before enrolling in any course with a math fluency prerequisite.
- Math fluency should not be confused with the general education/core curriculum requirement of mathematics, which all students must fulfill.
- College algebra does not fulfill math fluency, whether or not it fulfills the general education math requirement at another SUNY campus.
Foreign Language Placement
All students are required to complete a foreign language placement exam before enrolling in any language course. Faculty members monitor their class lists to ensure that students have taken the exam and are enrolled in the appropriate level.
French and Spanish Placement Exams
The French and Spanish exams may be taken online from a home computer. Students will receive their score and placement level immediately following the exam. To take the exam, go to WebCAPE Foreign Language Placement Exam.
Italian Placement Exam
The Italian exam is taken in a hard copy format: Italian Placement Exam. To submit the completed exam for grading, scan and email it to Carolyn Scofield, assistant to the assistant dean, School of Liberal Arts and Sciences, at carolyn.scofield@
Please direct any questions about the foreign language placement exams to Alfredo Garcia Pardo, assistant professor of Spanish and linguistics, at email@example.com