S / D / F Grades for Spring 2020
In the wake of Purchase College’s decision to transition temporarily to a distance education model, the Purchase College Educational Policies Committee has determined to grant students the ability to elect a Satisfactory/D/F grading option for the spring 2020 semester. This is different from the Pass/No Credit policy.
Students may elect to switch some or all of their spring 2020 elective and Core courses to S/D/F. In addition, all majors and minors with the exception of BFA Acting and BFA Design/Technology are allowing all of their requirements to be taken on an S/D/F basis. The deadline to switch spring 2020 courses to S/D/F is Tuesday, May 12. Instructions for requesting a switch to S/D/F are below.
S/D/F aims to reduce student stress during this already-stressful time, while still providing a pathway to fulfill degree requirements. While students may decide to continue to pursue a letter grade (A-F) in their spring 2020 classes, the S/D/F grade mode may be a sensible and healthy option, depending on individual circumstances. Students are strongly encouraged to consult with their instructor, advisor(s), and student financial services prior to electing S/D/F.
Spring 2020 Satisfactory/D/F Grading Policy
- Students may elect to have Core (General Education) and non-major elective courses be graded on an S/D/F basis.
- Academic departments may elect to allow students to choose to be graded S/D/F in courses designated as major or minor requirements. Students should consult with their instructor and/or major advisor for more information.
- Students can elect to have Senior theses/projects graded on an S/D/F basis, if their academic department permits this option. Updated 4/17/2020.
- There is no limit on the number of spring 2020 courses/credits allowed to be taken S/D/F by a student, subject to the above guidelines.
- The S (Satisfactory) grade is not calculated in the GPA, but counts toward program pursuit for financial aid purposes.
- S grade courses do not count toward the required 12 credits of Dean’s List coursework.
- Students should consult with their academic advisor if they would like to use the S/D/F/ option for a course they are repeating.
To elect the S/D/F option for a course:
- Discuss your grade options with your instructor.
- Consult your advisor about major and/or degree completion ramifications.
- Consult your advisor about any consequences if this is a course you’re repeating or may repeat in the future.
- Contact Student Financial Services to see if there will be any negative financial aid effects from choosing S/D/F.
- Submit your S/D/F request