Part-Time Teaching Support Awards
Fall 2018 application deadline: Nov. 15, 2018
Spring 2019 application deadline: March 15, 2019
The Office of the Provost and Academic Affairs is pleased to support the advancement of teaching for part-time faculty who teach less than half time (fewer than four courses in the current academic year, with consecutive semesters, excluding winter and summer session). Awards up to $300 are available to support a conference or workshop and/or support faculty research, artistic endeavor, or other comparable professional activity. (Appropriate expenditure documentation is required.)
Note: Part-time faculty who have served at least half time for three or more consecutive years should refer to Faculty Support Awards.
Part-Time Teaching Support Award Guidelines
- The goal of these awards is to recognize and support part-time faculty in their teaching endeavors and to further their own and the college’s mission and reputation.
- Fifteen awards, up to $300 each, will be given in the fall and another 15 in the spring. A faculty member may only receive one award in each annual cycle.
- This award period covers expenses incurred from September 1, 2018 to August 31, 2019.
- To be eligible, part-time faculty should submit a current curriculum vitae, as required by SUNY policy. Similarly, applicants who have received previous funding but have not submitted to the Office of the Provost and Academic Affairs a satisfactory report on its use will be deemed ineligible.
- Application forms (available here: .doc | .rtf) should be emailed, as an attached file, to the chair or director of your school or conservatory.
- A short narrative explaining how the activity improved or advanced the recipient’s teaching and an explanation of expenses will be due when the recipient of the award submits for their reimbursement.
- Please do not submit incomplete applications, as they will be returned.
The remainder of the process is as follows. Chairs and directors will:
- verify the applicant’s eligibility
- review and comment in the space allotted on the application form and either (a) sign the form, indicating approval, or (b) in case of ineligibility or lack of support, return it to the faculty member
- if approved, send the amended application as an attached file to their dean, who will review, and either (a) approve and forward to the Office of the Provost and Academic Affairs, or (b) in case of lack of support, return the application to the faculty member.
- deadlines that fall on a weekend and/or holiday are extended to the next business day.