Expectations for Using Modification of Attendance Policy
Important: Do not wait until after you miss coursework or class to renew the accommodation with ODR (by submitting a Semester Request via Accommodate). Please note, this accommodation may not be reasonable in all courses. Until a plan is finalized, students will need to follow the policy in place for the whole class as stated on the course syllabus. Contact the professor and Office of Disability Resources (ODR) if concerns arise during that time.
- This accommodation is only to be used for the disability/medical/health reason on record with ODR. Use of this accommodation for other reasons, including health matters not on record, seasonal colds and flu, or other non-medical related reasons is not acceptable and is subject to a referral to the Office of Community Standards.
- Overall, open, timely, and effective communication with professors and ODR greatly enhances the utility of this accommodation. To the greatest extent comfortable, consider having a conversation with professors about this accommodation and your reasons for using it. While you do not have to disclose specific medical information, you may find it in your best interest to do so in order for your professor to have a full understanding of the situation.
- Understand that this accommodation has limits. This accommodation is not a license to miss class whenever. Most every class has an absence limit that, once exceeded, makes it impossible to satisfy course objectives. Professors have a responsibility to uphold educational requirements and standards. Other options, such as a course withdrawal, may need to be discussed in certain situations. Responsibility for completing all class work is always in effect.
- ODR believes that good time and project management skills, as well as effective decision-making relative to personal circumstances, are important for all students. This accommodation does not address inefficiencies in these areas. Thus, the ODR position is that assignments with more than one week to complete can be completed successfully with proper time management, as well as planning, and need not warrant an accommodation except in extenuating circumstances.
- Read all emails pertaining to the accommodation and respond in a timely manner as necessary.
- Thoroughly review each course’s Modification of Attendance Policies Accommodation letter and respond as necessary.
- Follow the Expected Communication precisely when you need to utilize the accommodation.
- Have your professors’ email addresses and syllabus-listed phone numbers stored in your cell phone or on a piece of paper kept in your wallet so that you may access it quickly when necessary.
- Contact ODR and your professors as soon as you experience any substantial changes in your health that may impact your course involvement.
- If you experience any course or professor-related accommodation situation that concerns you, contact ODR as soon as you feel reasonable access is not happening; ODR cannot promise an outcome to your personal satisfaction but does promise to consider all relevant variables to determine reasonable access and accommodations.