Discovering the Arts
All incoming freshman pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree enroll in First-Year Seminar (EDG 1030, 1 credit) or Discovering the Arts (AOA 1000, 3 credits) in their first term. Both courses are designed to help students transition to college and immerse themselves in the campus culture.
Discovering the Arts Section Advisors also serve as the academic advisor for the students in their section, so students have a built-in opportunity to see their advisor on a weekly basis.
Discovering the Arts is an introductory course dedicated to helping you to become a fully participating cultural and intellectual citizen of Purchase College.
The experiential course integrates material on time management, goal setting, and the foundations for academic success at Purchase with participation in the campus arts environment.
Through the semester, you will gain understanding of the creative processes and artistic expressions of dance, theater, music, and visual art. You will go inside, behind the scenes, and into the lively creative processes taking place in the Performing Arts Center, Neuberger Museum, and the School of Arts Conservatories, to set the stage for continued cultural participation.
Completion of the 3-credit course satisfies the SUNY General Education Arts Core requirement.
This course satisfies the SUNY General Education Arts Core Student Learning Outcome. Specifically, students will:
- gain an understanding of at least one principal form of artistic expression and the creative process inherent therein.
This course also satisfies learning outcomes that reflect important values of Purchase College – what we hope every graduate of our programs will internalize and make their own. Specifically, students will:
- Develop a critical apparatus with which to understand artistic expression — by being able to identify, describe and analyze the main themes of a work of art
- Demonstrate flexibility with various modes of inquiry toward gaining an understanding of artistic expression and creative process
- Demonstrate an understanding of creative process by identifying at least one possible purpose of a given artistic project.
- Use experiential learning through direct contact with artists and creators to demonstrate their understanding of the creative process
Additional learning outcomes will be integrated into this course from the First-Year Seminar curriculum.