Academic Dismissal

A student who is dismissed may not take any coursework at Purchase College for one year following his or her dismissal. This provision does not apply to students who have applied and have been accepted as internal transfers to a degree program different from the program in which the dismissal action took place.

In certain cases, an undergraduate student may petition their associate or assistant dean to take a limited number of courses offered by the School of Liberal Studies & Continuing Education after one semester of dismissal status. Students who had not yet declared a major at the time of their dismissal may petition the associate dean of liberal arts and sciences. Students dismissed from a degree program may petition the associate or assistant dean of their school (i.e., the School of Liberal Arts and Sciences or the School of the Arts).

Readmission after Academic Dismissal

Please refer to Readmission.

Academic Leaves of Absence

Students who are interested in studying at another campus as a visiting student, either in the United States or abroad, must receive approval in advance of an academic leave of absence. Please refer to Off-Campus Study for detailed information, including eligibility and the approval process.

Academic Probation

Academic probation is a formal notification sent to a student when his or her cumulative grade point average falls below 2.00. Copies of this notification are sent to the registrar and the student’s advisor.

  1. Normally, a student is placed on academic probation following a semester during which the student’s progress has been found to be problematic. Probationary status is not a punitive action. It is intended to indicate problems that require correction and, if not corrected, may result in loss of federal Title IV aid and academic dismissal. However, academic probation is not necessarily a prerequisite for dismissal.
  2. Academic probation is recorded on the student’s transcript. To have such a notation removed from the record, a full-time student must, in the semester following the action, meet the minimum expectation described in the probation notice. The work must be completed on time, i.e., no incomplete (I) grades.
  3. If placed on academic probation, students are encouraged to give particular attention to their educational and professional development.
  4. In some situations, the appropriate school, conservatory, or arts board of study may determine that a student be placed on academic probation or dismissed during the course of a semester. Problems concerning professional conduct in a BFA, MusB, MFA, or MM program or lack of classroom attendance by a student in the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) may also fall into this category.

Restrictions of Privileges

Students who have been officially placed on academic probation are required to cease extracurricular activities in the expectation that they concentrate on their studies during the semester of probation. As soon as probation is removed from the student’s record, the student is eligible to continue with his or her extracurricular activities.

Extracurricular activities are defined as:

  1. Any elected or appointed executive board position in the Purchase Student Government Association (PSGA) or a PSGA-sponsored club or organization.
  2. Any elected or appointed executive position in any governance organization, including the Purchase College Senate, the Educational Policies Committee, the Personnel Policies Committee, the Purchase College Association, Academic Review Committees, the Campus Appeals Board, faculty review committees, etc.
  3. Participation in any intercollegiate athletic team. Students employed by the college (e.g., head residents, resident assistants, student directors) who are placed on academic probation are placed on “job probation” as well. These students have their employment commitment re-evaluated by the supervisor, who may recommend a reassignment of duties. Students on “job probation” may also be required to participate in academic support services (e.g., a study skills workshop).

Exceptions to the restriction of privileges are considered by the appropriate Academic Review Committee upon receipt of a letter of appeal within five academic working days of probation notification. The letter of appeal should state exactly what circumstances mitigate against enforcement of the rule.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards for Financial Aid

To maintain eligibility for certain types of financial aid, students must also meet satisfactory academic progress (SAP) standards for federal and state financial aid. For additional information on these standards, please refer to the Student Financial Services site (www.purchase.edu/offices/student-financial-services/).

Academic Requirements for Undergraduate Degrees

Bachelor of Arts (BA) and Bachelor of Science (BS)

  1. Earn a minimum of 120 credits. Of the 120 credits, a minimum number of credits in the liberal arts are required: 90 for the BA, 60 for the BS. A total of 45 credits must be earned in upper-level (3000- or 4000-level) courses. A maximum of 4 physical education credits may be applied toward the degree.
  2. Complete a minimum of 60 credits outside the student’s board of study (major).
  3. Complete the core curriculum/general education requirements.
  4. Complete all requirements for the major.
  5. Earn a minimum 2.0 (C) cumulative GPA at Purchase College.

Note: Requirement 2 above does not apply to students in the liberal studies degree completion program.

Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) and Bachelor of Music (MusB)

  1. Earn a minimum of 120 credits, at least 30 of which must be liberal arts credits.
  2. Complete the core curriculum/general education requirements.
  3. Complete all requirements for the major.*
  4. Earn a minimum 2.0 (C) cumulative GPA at Purchase College.

*The specific number of credits required for each performing and visual arts major is listed under each major’s academic requirements.

Change of Grade

After an instructor has submitted a student’s grade to the Office of the Registrar, the grade may be changed only with the approval of the instructor and appropriate administrator: the associate dean in the School of Liberal Arts and Sciences, the assistant dean in the School of the Arts, or the director of academic programs in the School of Liberal Studies & Continuing Education. However, the final evaluation is the prerogative of the instructor.

  1. If there has been a clerical error or if the student believes that the grade received is inaccurate, the student should discuss the grade with the instructor.
  2. After consulting with the instructor, if the student has further questions regarding the grade, the student should discuss them with the chair or director of the student’s school or conservatory. The chair or director may, if appropriate, arrange a discussion with the instructor. However, the final grade is the prerogative of the instructor.
  3. If a grade dispute involves an instructor who is no longer a member of the Purchase College faculty, the associate or assistant dean or the director of academic programs may adjudicate the matter.
  4. In exceptional cases, grades may be changed up to six months after the completion of a given semester. No grade changes are accepted after this date.
Declaring a Major (BA and BS Programs)

Students who have not declared a major are strongly encouraged to meet with a staff member in the Advising Center for guidance in selecting a major. By the time students have completed 45 credits, they are expected to choose a major. Forms for declaring a major are available in the Office of the Registrar.

For related information, please refer to:
Internal Transfer: Policy and Procedures
Double Major

Double Major (BA and BS Programs)

Students in a BA or BS program who seek a double major may do so by meeting the following requirements:

  1. Complete one senior thesis or senior project, approved by both boards of study.
  2. Have the program requirements for each major approved by both boards of study.

Students pursuing two bachelor’s degrees at Purchase College (e.g., a BA and a BFA) should refer to Two Bachelor’s Degrees From Purchase.

Full-Time and Part-Time Status and Overload Approval

The minimum full-time semester workload is 12 credits for undergraduate students and 9 credits for graduate students. Certain forms of federal, state, and institutional financial aid require full-time status by the end of the add/drop period. Only full-time students are permitted to live on campus.

Overload Approval

To receive overload approval for a given semester, approval must be obtained from the appropriate chair or director by:

  1. students in the performing arts BFA and MusB programs who wish to register for more than 22 credits (a maximum of 30 credits is allowed each semester); and
  2. students in all other undergraduate degree programs who wish to register for more than 18 credits (a maximum of 24 credits is allowed each semester).

Part-Time Status

Undergraduate students who pursue fewer than 12 credits (and graduate students who pursue fewer than 9 credits) per semester have part-time status. Part-time matriculated students meet the same admission and degree requirements as full-time matriculated students. Students who wish to pursue part-time studies should consult with the chair or director and the board of study to determine whether a part-time program is available.

Continuing Education and Summer Session Students

Overload policies for continuing education and summer session students are determined by the School of Liberal Studies & Continuing Education. Overloads are not permitted in winter session. Given the intensive pace of winter session courses, all students are limited to one 4-credit course; no exceptions will be considered.

  1. Winter session and summer session courses are open to all matriculated students, as long as any prerequisites are met. Matriculated students should obtain approval from their faculty advisor or the appropriate board of study before registering to ensure that the selected courses meet the requirements for their degree. According to New York State policy, all students must pay for summer session courses on a per-credit basis. There are no special rates for 12 or more credits.
  2. During the academic year (fall and spring semesters), a limited number of spaces are available in most credit courses during the registration period for non-matriculated students. Other credit courses may be opened during the add/drop period if space is available. (Before registering for these courses, students should obtain their faculty advisor’s approval.) For full-time matriculated students, no additional tuition is charged; however, any listed charges for course-related expenses must be paid when registering.


Medical Leaves

A medical leave of absence may be requested by the student through the Counseling Center for substance-related or emotional reasons or through Student Health Services for physical reasons. A supporting letter from a student’s attending physician, therapist, or counselor is required. Medical leaves, which are generally for a period of no less than six months and up to one year, must be approved by the associate dean for student affairs.

Renewing Medical Leaves

Renewal of an approved medical leave of absence must be requested annually in writing by submitting new medical documentation to the Counseling Center or Student Health Services. Students who do not renew their medical leaves will be administratively withdrawn from the college by the Office of the Registrar.

Returning From Medical Leave

A request to return to the college from a medical leave of absence is assessed when requested by a student. Assessments can be completed during the following periods:

  • Fall semester returns: July 1 until the first day of classes
  • Spring semester returns: December 1 until the first day of classes
  • Summer session returns: May 1 until the first day of classes

Returns from medical leaves are subject to the recommendation of the Counseling Center or Student Health Services and approval of the associate dean for student affairs or designee. The required documentation and instructions for return requests is available online on the Student Affairs site.

Maintaining Enrollment in the Student Health Insurance Program

A student who has enrolled in the college’s student health insurance program is eligible to remain enrolled in that insurance program throughout his or her approved medical leave. To do so, the student must contact the Office of Student Financial Services before the beginning of each semester of the approved medical leave to make arrangements to pay the insurance premium in a timely fashion and to guarantee continuous insurance coverage. Failure to do so will result in loss of coverage.

Notes for All Leaves of Absence
  1. Students who are granted a leave at the end of a semester are responsible for finishing any incomplete work before the deadline for resolution of incomplete (I) grades (refer to the academic calendar).
  2. Students on leaves of absence who are later found to be in academic difficulty will have their academic records reviewed by the Academic Review Committee (ARC). When warranted, the ARC may place a student on probation or take other appropriate action.
  3. Students on leaves of absence may take coursework elsewhere as a nonmatriculated student, but cannot be guaranteed that Purchase credit will be given for that work unless specific arrangements are made in advance. (Please refer to Off-Campus Study for additional information.)
  4. Academic dismissal will supersede any leave of absence.
  5. Campus housing is limited and is not guaranteed for students returning from leaves of absence. For specific information related to on-campus housing, please email or call the Office of Community Engagement, ceg@purchase.edu, (914) 251-6320.
  6. Taking a leave of absence may affect the repayment of educational loans and disbursements of student aid funds. Students who receive financial aid and/or have taken out educational loans must consult with the Office of Student Financial Services, (914) 251-7000, before taking a leave of absence.
  7. Students on leaves of absence who do not return to the college at the agreed-upon time are administratively withdrawn as of the term that the return was to have taken effect. To return to Purchase College, students who have been administratively withdrawn must submit an Application for Readmission to the Office of the Registrar. Readmission, however, is not guaranteed.


Personal Leaves of Absence

Students in good standing may apply to the Office of the Registrar for a personal leave of absence. Applications must be submitted before the last day to withdraw from a course with a grade of W (refer to the academic calendar).

Leaves are normally not granted for first-year students, and seniors are advised not to interrupt their studies. When granted, a leave is usually for a maximum of two semesters. Permission to take a personal leave of absence includes the right to return without additional notification.

Policies Governing Student Records (FERPA)

Student records policies are designed to ensure that the college has a student record-keeping system that achieves an effective balance between the student’s right to privacy and the college’s need to use the same information in carrying out its educational mission.

The college’s policies governing student educational records are in full compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), also known as the Buckley Amendment. These policies assure students’ rights of privacy, while providing them with access to their own records.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (Buckley Amendment)
These policies conform to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (Buckley Amendment), referred to hereafter as FERPA, and are a declaration of existing practice. 

I. Definitions

  1. In these defined policies, the term “student” refers to any person who has completed the registration process for any semester at Purchase College and for whom the college has developed an educational record. Applications for admission are not included in the term.
  2. “Educational records” are all collections of personally identifiable information pertaining to students; these records are maintained by the college or by parties acting for the college. This includes computer files and written materials contained in a file folder in a traditional manner. As stipulated by FERPA, the following files are not considered “educational records” and, as such, are not available to students:
    1. Records maintained by the University Police Department, the Counseling Center, and Student Health Services
    2. Financial records of parents
    3. Employment files (i.e., applications for resident assistant and student manager positions and job-related materials)
    4. Records developed and maintained by faculty and staff that serve their individual record-keeping purposes and remain exclusively in their individual possession
  3. A “school official” is a person employed by Purchase College in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person serving on the board of trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee. A school official also may include a volunteer or contractor outside of Purchase College who performs an institutional service or function for which the college would otherwise use its own employees and who is under the direct control of the college with respect to the use and maintenance of personally identifiable information from education records, such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent or a student volunteering to assist another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for Purchase College.

II. Access

The essence of these guidelines and FERPA is that all students have the right to inspect their own educational records, irrespective of age or economic dependence on parents, with the exceptions listed above. Although the college is not required to release records maintained by the Counseling Center and Student Health Services, on written request by the student, information maintained in these files must be released to the appropriate professional of the student’s choice.

There is a general limitation that a student may not review letters or statements of a confidential nature included in any of their files before January 1, 1975. These materials are removed before a student reviews the folder and are returned to the folder after the review, if relevant to the file. (Refer to Expunging.) All materials included after January 1, 1975, are available for student inspection unless there is written evidence in the folder that the student has waived the right to review a particular item.

A request to inspect an educational record should be made directly to the office holding the record. For those unable to come to the campus because of geographical location, requests by mail are honored. Copies are available to all students at the cost of reproduction. (Contact the Office of the Registrar for further information.)

Parents and legal guardians have access to their dependent’s records if the student is a dependent in the Internal Revenue Service definition of the term or if the student has given written consent. Thus, it is the parents’ or guardians’ responsibility to present evidence of dependency before a student record may be released. If such evidence is presented, the student is notified.

Student records are accessible to employees of the college whose primary job responsibilities require access to some or all of the information included in a student’s educational record and to employees with a legitimate educational need to review a student’s educational record.

III. Right of Challenge

A student who discovers what he or she may feel to be an inaccurate, misleading, or incomplete recording of information in the personal record may request that a change be made by the appropriate submitting office. If the request for change is denied, the student may request that the hearing be conducted within a reasonable period of time by a person who is not directly involved in the issue, appointed by the vice president for student affairs and preferably approved by the student. In controversies related to a grade, the debate is limited to accuracy and completeness, and may not entail the justification for a particular grade. Complaints concerning the conduct of the hearing or the aspects of these guidelines may be directed to:

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) Office
Department of Education
330 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20201

Students who differ with the decision rendered in the hearing are entitled to include a statement explaining their dissent in their file.

IV. Waiver of Access

Students may waive their right to inspect a particular file or portion of a particular file. Individual referees may require that students waive their right to review a particular letter of reference they have been asked to write. Faculty or staff involved in advising may recommend that students waive their right to review recommendation letters, in the belief that a waiver effectively increases the credibility and usefulness of the reference when reviewed by the admissions committee or prospective employer. The college may not, however, require that any student waive the right of access to a file or any part of the file.

Student waiver of access to letters of recommendation is generally exercised on a letter-by-letter basis. This may be done by affixing a signed, dated statement to the letter before its inclusion in a folder; or, in the case of letters included in the credential file maintained by the Career Development Center, by signing the candidate’s waiver of right of access to confidential reference letters, printed on the confidential reference form.

V. Release of Records

  1. Except with respect to directory information or as otherwise allowed by law, there shall be no oral or written release of personally identifiable information from any student educational record without the signed and dated consent of the student, except to:
    1. school officials, as previously defined, who have a legitimate need to know
    2. state and federal education authorities to whom information must be made available by statute and/or for the audit of federal programs
    3. officials of another institution of postsecondary education where the student seeks or intends to enroll, or where the student is already enrolled to the extent that the disclosure is for purpose related to the student”s enrollment or transfer
    4. organizations and educational agencies involved in testing, administering financial aid, or improving instruction, provided the information is presented anonymously
    5. accrediting agencies
    6. parents and legal guardians of students regarded as “dependent” by the IRS definition of the term, if dependency is demonstrated (access is “view only”)
    7. comply with with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena, in which case an attempt is made to notify the student in advance;
    8. parents or other appropriate persons in the case of a health or safety emergency
    9. authorized representatives of the comptroller general of the United States and the Department of Education
  2. Directory information is information contained in an education record of a student that would not generally be considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed. Specific items regarded by the college as directory information are listed in the Registration Guide as part of an announcement informing students of their rights to exclude themselves form any or all such releases. Items currently regarded by Purchase College as directory information are noted below. Students also receive an annual FERPA notification through their official Purchase College email account. Students must notify the registrar in writing if they do not want their directory information to be available to the public.
    Directory information:
    Local campus mailbox number
    Campus telephone number
    Home address
    Email address
    Home telephone number
    Date of birth
    Matriculation status
    Class level
    Current full-time or part-time status
    Dates of attendance and graduation
    Major fields of student and degree
    Awards and academic degrees given at Purchase
    Participation in recognized college activities (e.g., election outcomes, membership in athletic teams, participation in plays and performances)
    Personal information on members of college athletic teams (e.g., height, weight, high school)
    Also refer to the Solomon Amendment.
  3. Information may be released in an anonymous manner or in a way that does not infringe on any individual”s right to privacy for research and for purposes of research or to protect the health or welfare of certain groups.
  4. Information regarding alcohol or drug use or possession may be released to parents or guardians of students under the age of 21. The guidelines regarding such release are published in the annual Student Handbook under “Alcohol or Drug Use/Possession Disclosure Policy.”

  VI. Expunging

Student records should be free of extraneous data that no longer serve the purpose(s) for which they were gathered. Therefore, systematic attempts should be made to expunge extraneous materials in student records. Another recommended means is to purge files on an ad hoc basis in the review given each file before the student inspects it. Judgments concerning the relevance of materials should be made by the person who is responsible for the particular file.

VII. Annual Notices

  1. Students are informed annually through their Purchase College email account of the rights provided to them by FERPA. This information is also published in the Registration Guide each semester to inform students of their rights and responsibilities. This information is provided to each student entering the college.
  2. The registrar is responsible for establishing these guidelines and monitoring their implementation. Questions, concerns, and suggestions should directed to the Office of the Registrar, Student Services Building, First Floor, (914) 251-6360.

VIII. List of Education Records and the Officials Responsible for the Records

  • Academic Records: director of admissions, registrar, academic deans, academic department, Advising Center, faculty offices
  • Student Services Records: Counseling Center director, dean of students, director of student activities, vice president for student affairs, director of residence life
  • Financial Record: director of student financial services, chief financial officer, director of financial aid

Educational records available for inspection do not include:

  1. Financial records of the student’s parents or guardians
  2. Confidential letters of recommendation which were placed in the educational records of a student prior to January 1, 1975
  3. Records of instructional, administrative, and educational personnel which are kept in the sole possession of the maker, and are not accessible or revealed to any other individual except a temporary substitute for the maker
  4. Records of law enforcement units
  5. Employment records related exclusively to an individual’s employment capacity
  6. Medical and psychological records
  7. Thesis or research papers
  8. Records that only contain information about an individual after the individual is no longer a student at the institution.

Students must not be allowed access to:

  1. Education records that contain information on more than one student (the student may review only the specific information about himself or herself)
  2. Financial records of the student’s parents
  3. Letters of recommendation or reference received after January 1, 1975, for which the rights of inspection have been waived

IX. Student consumer information requirement

In compliance with both federal and state law, the college makes available to students or prospective students information about instructional programs, costs of attending the institution, financial assistance available to students, the refund policy, qualifications of faculty members, graduation rates, and placement of grades. The vice president for academic affairs and the vice president for student affairs are available to assist students or prospective students in obtaining information specified in the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education, Chapter 2, Sections 53.1–3.4.

  The Solomon Amendment 10 U.S.C. § 983

The 1996 Solomon Amendment provides for the U.S. Secretary of Defense to deny federal funding to institutions of higher learning if they prohibit or prevent ROTC or military recruitment on campus. Directory information that must be released to the military as it is presently defined under the Solomon Amendment:

  1. Student’s name and address
  2. Telephone listing
  3. Date and place of birth
  4. Class level (freshman, sophomore, etc.)
  5. Academic major
  6. Degrees received
  7. The educational institution in which the student was most recently enrolled
Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards for Graduate Students

Graduate students who meet all requirements of the college, including its academic standards, are considered to be maintaining satisfactory academic progress. A full-time graduate student is one who registers for 9 or more credits in a given semester; a part-time student is one who registers for fewer than 9 credits.


  1. All graduate students are evaluated throughout the semester, although grades are only submitted once a semester. Grades of W, I, and WF and repeated courses may affect satisfactory academic progress (refer to the Grading System for definitions of all grades).
  2. All graduate students are expected to maintain a minimum 3.0 (B) GPA each semester. Graduate students who have a semester GPA lower than 3.0 will be placed on probation and must maintain at least a 3.0 average in the following semester to have their probationary status removed. A graduate student must have achieved a minimum 3.0 GPA at the time a degree is awarded.
  3. In addition to maintaining a satisfactory GPA, graduate students must meet all other academic and professional conduct standards set forth by their program.
  4. A semester of residency is defined as one in which a full-time graduate student attempts 9 or more credits. Full-time graduate students in master’s programs cannot exceed eight semesters of residency at the college to complete the requirements for their degrees. This is a minimum standard for academic progress and is not intended to represent normal progress, which is four to six semesters of residency at the college.
  5. Part-time graduate students must complete their degrees with no more than 12 semesters of residency at the college.
  6. Courses designated as developmental for graduate students (usually undergraduate level) cannot be credited toward a degree and do not count toward the full-time equivalent (FTE) semester. These courses are not factored into a student’s GPA, but they may be used by the faculty in judging a student’s overall potential to continue toward a graduate degree.

Graduate students who do not meet the criteria for satisfactory academic progress face academic dismissal. A graduate student may appeal an academic dismissal to the graduate Academic Review Committee. Appeals must be made in writing and accompanied by documented evidence of mitigating circumstances (e.g., illness, injury, personal tragedy, etc.).

Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards for Undergraduate Students

Undergraduate students who meet all requirements of the college, including its academic standards, are considered to be maintaining satisfactory academic progress. The following policies and procedures have been developed to measure the academic progress of undergraduate students.

Satisfactory Academic Progress: Calculating the GPA

All credit-bearing coursework for which a student is registered after the college’s withdrawal deadline is used to calculate the student’s grade point average (GPA).

Matriculated Students

Matriculated students are those who have been accepted as degree candidates at the college. The following applies to all matriculated undergraduate students:

  1. All undergraduate students are evaluated throughout the semester, although grades are only submitted once a semester. Grades of W, I, and WF and repeated courses may affect satisfactory academic progress (refer to the Grading System for the definitions of all grades).
  2. All undergraduate students are expected to maintain a minimum 2.0 (C) GPA each semester. Undergraduate students who have a semester GPA lower than 2.0 will be placed on probation and must maintain at least a 2.0 GPA in the following semester to have their probationary status removed. An undergraduate student must have achieved a minimum 2.0 GPA at the time a degree is awarded.

Full-time matriculated students are defined as those who register for 12 or more credits in a given semester. All full-time matriculated students with lower than the required cumulative average are placed on probationary status or may be subject to dismissal. A full-time student whose probationary status is not removed after the probationary semester is subject to dismissal. Full-time students are academically reviewed each semester.

Part-time matriculated students are defined as those who register for fewer than 12 credits in a given semester. Therefore, a part-time student’s record is reviewed after each 12 credits of enrollment, regardless of the actual number of semesters during which the work was pursued.

Students who enroll for winter session and/or summer study are considered to be maintaining satisfactory academic progress if their previous semester’s work has met the required standards.

Note: Satisfactory academic progress (SAP) standards for financial aid (e.g., federal Title IV aid, state aid, and other loan programs) vary from those stated here; please consult the Office of Student Financial Services, (914) 251-7000, for specific guidelines.

Nonmatriculated Students

Nonmatriculated students with a GPA lower than 2.0 who have not passed at least 50 percent of their coursework attempted for credit may be barred from further registration.

Satisfactory Academic Progress: Overview

Academic standards in effect since September 1995 are used to assess satisfactory progress and to determine probationary status or the necessity to dismiss. The academic policies in this section define minimum satisfactory academic progress for all students at Purchase College.

Students in the BFA, MusB, MFA, and MM programs must meet these collegewide academic standards as well as the general professional standards, including professional conduct standards, governing these degree programs, and the academic and professional standards of the student’s school/conservatory and program.

Satisfactory academic progress (SAP) standards for financial aid (e.g., federal Title IV aid, state aid, and other loan programs) vary from those stated in this section; please consult the Office of Student Financial Services, (914) 251-7000, for specific guidelines. However, because the criteria for satisfactory academic progress affect all students, whether or not they receive financial aid, all students should be familiar with the standards in this section.

Transfer Credit Policy: BA and BS Programs

A maximum of 90 credits—including a maximum of 75 lower-level (freshman-sophomore) credits—may be accepted in transfer to an undergraduate BA or BS program at Purchase College. All students in these programs, regardless of credits transferred, must satisfy all academic requirements (or their equivalencies) for the major and the degree. The number and type of transferable credits are determined by the college at the time of admission, according to the following guidelines.

  1. Quarter credits accepted in transfer are converted to semester credits. Unless otherwise specified, one quarter equals ⅔ of a semester credit; for example, 5 quarter credits equal 3⅓ semester credits.
  2. A maximum of 30 non-liberal arts transfer credits can be applied toward the total minimum requirement of 120 credits. Non-liberal arts credits are those in such areas as agriculture, business, engineering, nursing, and education.
  3. A maximum of 4 physical education credits can be applied toward a BA or BS.
  4. Grades of D or higher are accepted in transfer credit, although several boards of study will accept only grades of C or higher in satisfaction of major requirements. Students should consult with their board of study after registration.
  5. Credits can be accepted only from accredited institutions. This includes accredited proprietary schools.
  6. Advanced Placement* (AP) exam scores of 3, 4, or 5 will transfer. (Because credits vary with each exam, students should consult with the registrar.) A maximum of 30 credits will be accepted.
  7. A maximum of 30 credits will be accepted through the College Level Examination Program* (CLEP). Transfer is evaluated by review of each individual test score.
  8. Acceptance of a course for transfer credit does not guarantee acceptance for board of study requirements. Students should check with their board of study after registration.
  9. Courses taught elsewhere for 3 credits, which are taught at Purchase for 4 credits, will transfer as 3 credits.

*Information about AP and CLEP is available at www.collegeboard.com.

School of Art+Design: BS Program in Visual Arts

Of the maximum 90 transfer credits allowed, undergraduate students may transfer a maximum of 20 studio art credits and 9 art history credits. All upper-level studio art courses required for the BS major in the School of Art+Design must be completed at Purchase College. Please note that art credits from other schools are not automatically transferable. Visual arts studio credit is awarded only:

  1. for those arts courses, in which the student has earned a grade of C or higher, that can be considered applicable to the visual arts program; and
  2. upon recommendation of the School of Art+Design faculty, based on the quality of work presented in the student’s portfolio.
Withdrawal From the College

Students intending to withdraw from Purchase College should comply with the following procedures, which are designed to ensure a smooth flow of information regarding a student’s departure, to assess data regarding withdrawal, and to minimize potential problems in the event of readmission:

  1. All required forms must be submitted, and an exit interview completed, at the Office of the Registrar before leaving the campus.
  2. Purchase identification cards must be returned to the More Card Office.
  3. Keys to residence hall rooms or apartments must be returned to the Office of Community Engagement. All other keys must be returned to the appropriate building manager.
  4. Refunds are based on the refund schedule published by the Office of Student Financial Services. Refunds on residence assignments are based on the date that students vacate their housing assignment and return their keys. Refunds on meal plans are calculated from the date students return their identification card.
  5. Students on academic probation at the time of withdrawal will have that status noted on their transcript.
  6. Students who transfer to another college are required to withdraw from Purchase College. Any matriculated student who does not register and does not notify the Office of the Registrar of his or her withdrawal from Purchase College will be administratively withdrawn by the registrar.
  7. Withdrawal affects the repayment of educational loans and disbursements of student aid funds. Students who receive financial aid and/or have taken out educational loans must consult with the Office of Student Financial Services, (914) 251-7000, before withdrawing.
  8. Academic dismissal will supersede any withdrawal.