Global Ambassador position
Global Ambassadors serve as an integral part of the International Student Orientation as they are the main source of student life information. They also assist the OIPS team during all scheduled events during Orientation, including programming and dynamic group activities. Qualities and experience in customer service, event planning, international, operational and logistical is highly desired.
Global Ambassadors represent Purchase College and the Office of International Programs at all times and are expected to answer students questions and/or direct students in the right direction. It is also expected of Global Ambassadors to be skilled in cultural awareness as they will be working/supporting students from all over the world.
This position is (temporary) project based.
The Global Ambassadors will do remote work and web conference (3 days) over the summer break to train and plan Orientation with OIPS staff. Global Ambassadors main responsibility is to assist OIPS staff during international student move-in day and the (3) three days of international student orientation programming (total of 4 days).
- Complete all training dates scheduled during the summer
- Assist staff with all activities, they must be present during all orientation activities
- Prepare and conduct a presentation about student life at Purchase
- Work collaboratively with other Global Ambassadors and staff
- Answer questions about social and academics at Purchase
- Promote interaction among the international students and Global Ambassadors
- Facilitate group interactions and social activities
- Provide administrative and logistical support for all activities and programs
Preferred Qualifications and Skills
- Good verbal communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Students with some interest or previous experience overseas is preferred
- High energy to engage with International Students
- Friendly Personality
- Interpersonal and intercultural communication
- Microsoft Applications
- Video, Photography and/or Editing
1 to 3 years of experience is highly desired; entry level is encouraged to apply
Majors encouraged to apply: Anthropology, Cinema Studies, Creative Writing, Arts Management, Environmental Studies, Journalism, Language and Culture, Latin American Studies, Communication, New Media, Psychology, Sociology, Film, Media Arts and Culture, Visual Arts MFA
- Must have at least a 3.00 cumulative GPA at the time of application
- Selected candidates must be reachable or available in the summer for assignments and remote training (May 6, June 5, Aug. 7) - dates are subject to change
- Students must be able to move-in early (on-campus housing) on August 21st, 2020
- Students must be completely available to attend in-person training on August 22 and 23rd, 2020
- Students must be completely available for Orientation Days August 24-27, 2020
- Must be friendly, positive, high energy and approachable to International Students
- Cannot be on any form of probation at the time of application of start of employment
- All international students should first meet with our office for verification of hiring documents.
- Global Ambassadors receive a $900 stipend for training, orientation, and continuous program planning for International Student Orientation. The amount will be paid in installments upon completion and evaluation of work.
- Global Ambassadors receive meals during training weekend and during orientation days.