Welcome Back! New Services and Policies for Fall 2021
After sixteen months of virtual and contactless services, we’re excited to announce that the Library will reopen to Purchase College students, faculty, and staff for in-person services, starting Monday August 16th!
To reopen safely for library staff and the campus community, we have taken many safety precautions, including: reducing evening and weekend hours, installing plastic barriers at service desks, distancing furniture and technology, providing hand sanitizer and wipes, limiting access to current students and faculty/staff only, and prohibiting eating and drinking. Please see Library Policies for full details.
As we welcome you back, we ask that you practice commonsense health precautions inside the Library, including: mask-wearing at all times*, hand-washing, and social distancing. Only current students and staff with a valid MORE Card may enter the Library. We are closed to outside visitors and members of the public this semester.
*Per CDC and Purchase College guidelines, masks are required indoors regardless of vaccination status.
Fall 2021 Hours (begins August 30):
Monday - Thursday: 8:00am - 7:00pm
Friday: 8:00am - 5:00pm
Saturday and Sunday: Closed
*Exception: Library closed on Labor Day, Monday September 6.
**Hours are subject to change. Please see the Library Hours page for details.
Purchase College students, faculty, and staff with valid MORE Cards may enter the Library and use the following services:
Study Spaces: We have rearranged furniture throughout the Library to promote social distancing and create a calm environment conducive to individual study. The silent, quiet, and group study zones remain in effect for Fall 2021; we invite you to find your zone! Current students are also welcome to attend online zoom classes from group study zones or public computer labs in the Library. Please remember your headphones!
Circulation: Borrowing, browsing our physical collections, and interlibrary loan all return to normal! (Contactless Pickup ends August 10th.)
Reserves: Physical course reserves are back! Students can check Discovery Search for physical course materials (books, dvds, cds, etc), as well as ebooks and streaming films. Faculty, please place reserves requests here.
Reference/Research Help: The Reference Desk reopened on Wednesday, August 25 in a brand new location! You can now ask a librarian for help– in-person– at the service window on the first floor near the Director’s Office (room 1010H). You may continue to use our chat, text, and zoom virtual reference services as well. Zoom reference is now by-appointment-only, except between semester and during weather emergencies (Zoom is no longer a drop-in service, but you may email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a zoom research appointment).
Technology Help: CTS Helpdesk technicians will be stationed within the Library in the newly relocated Tech Assistance Office on the first floor (room 1002B), Mondays 12:00PM-4:00PM and Tuesdays through Fridays 12:00PM-4:45PM. You may also use the CTS Video Chat Help Support service for technology help via Zoom.
Computer Labs: The Reference Commons, Digital Media Zone (DMZ) Commons, Lab 1004C and Lab 1004D will be open this semester.
- Black-and-white printing can be done in the Reference Commons or DMZ. Color printers are available in the DMZ only.
- For a list of available software, see the CTS Standard Software lists.
CTS has been busy reassessing all the labs across campus, including within the Library. Due to age, cost, redundancy and other factors, CTS has upgraded the iMacs in the main DMZ Commons and closed Library Labs 1004B, 1015A, B, and C. Students looking for video, audio, or photo-editing software beyond the Library’s offerings are encouraged to use the labs in the CMFT building. See CTS Lab Availability for a list of all campus labs.
Scanners and more: The Library’s book scanners and microfilm reader will once again be available on a first come, first served basis.
- Online Collections & Databases: We continue to bring you the databases, streaming films, and ebooks you need for your research. This year, we have added a new database, Communication & Mass Media Complete, a robust communication studies database covering media studies, linguistics, rhetoric and discourse.
New Policies & Safety Precautions
Please help us protect the Library! In order to keep our staff and the entire Purchase community safe, the following precautions and new policies will remain in effect until further notice:
- Masks must be worn at all times, regardless of vaccination status. This is in keeping with CDC and College guidelines about mask-wearing indoors. See the Library Mask policy.
- Maintain a social distance of at least 3 feet from staff and other patrons. See the Social Distancing policy.
- Only current Purchase College students, staff, and faculty with valid MORE Cards are allowed in the Library. The Library is open only for official college business and is not open to the general public, in keeping with College Visitor Policy. See also the Library’s updated Guest policy.
- No eating or drinking allowed in the Library. Water is permitted in closed containers. The 2012 Lounge is temporarily closed until further notice. See the updated Food and Drink policy.
- No moving furniture. We have reconfigured the furniture to promote social distancing. See the Social Distancing policy.
- Plastic barriers have been installed at the Circulation Desk and Reference Desk.
- Hand sanitizer and wipes are provided throughout the building. You are strongly encouraged to wipe down public technology and other equipment before and after use.
- Group study rooms, viewing/listening rooms, and digital audio suites are closed for the semester.
- Headphones are encouraged, particularly if using Library computers to attend online courses; however, due to health concerns, headphones are no longer available for check-out. Please bring your own.
We can’t wait to open the Library’s doors and see you all again in-person, beginning August 16th!