Office of Community Engagement
The Office of Community Engagement encompasses the following areas of student life at Purchase College: new student orientation, student involvement, commuter students, residence life, housing, campus traditions, and the Multicultural Center. Our office creates personal and interpersonal opportunities that help students to become engaged, empowered citizens of an inclusive, diverse learning environment. We invite students to participate in educational and social experiences that are designed for all Purchase students. Engagement with the Purchase community enhances their collegiate experience and enriches the overall campus environment.
The Office of Community Engagement nurtures student development by committing to:
- Ethic of care: Respect, support, trust, and compassion for others
- Accountability: Personal responsibility for individual and social behaviors
- Integrity: Honesty, truthfulness, and commitment to action
- Engagement: Helping through service and consideration of the welfare of others
- Excellence: High standards and providing opportunities for growth and learning
- To create a supportive environment for students through quality service that refers them to resources and accommodates their needs, both on and off campus.
- To provide opportunities for student involvement that promote community development, leadership, diversity, multiculturalism, civic engagement, and service learning.
- To support the “Think Wide Open” philosophy by encouraging students to explore their individuality, diversity, and creativity beyond expected boundaries.
- To foster student persistence and retention by cultivating an educationally focused campus community through initiatives that promote self-authorship.
- To collaborate with campus partners and faculty to promote the holistic development of our students through learning, both in and out of the classroom.