BFA in Graphic Design: Academic Requirements
In addition to fulfilling general degree requirements, undergraduate students majoring in graphic design must complete the following requirements (85–86 credits):
Foundation Courses: 16 credits
VIS 1050/ComX: 1 credit
VIS 1060/Foundation Drawing: 3 credits
VIS 1070/Extended Media: 3 credits
VIS 1080/Visual Language: 3 credits
VIS 1260/3-D Processes: 3 credits
VIS 1330/Lens and Time: 3 credits
Art History Courses: 12 credits
ARH 1020/History of Art Survey II
ARH —/One course in the history of art before 1800 (lower-level)
ARH 3405/Design History and Theory: 1750–Today or
DES 3300/History of Graphic Design Survey
Graphic Design Studio Courses: 27 credits
DES 2450/Digital Media for Designers I: 3 credits
DES 2460/Digital Media for Designers II: 3 credits
DES 2500/Word and Image I: 3 credits
DES 2600/Word and Image II: 3 credits
DES 3200/Advanced Typography: 3 credits
DES 3510/Word and Image III: 3 credits
DES 3610/Word and Image IV: 3 credits
DES 4100/Community Design: 3 credits
DES —/Graphic design elective: 3 credits
Visual Arts Studio Electives: 18 credits
Graphic Design Theory Elective: 3–4 credits
One of the following courses:
ARH 3285/Design and Culture: 4 credits
DES 3240/Design Issues: 3 credits
NME 3265/Social Design: 3 credits
Synthesis Courses: 9 credits
DES 3550/Junior Seminar: 3 credits
DES 4990/Senior Project I: 3 credits
DES 4991/Senior Project II: 3 credits
Students who choose to major in graphic design are required to complete a mid-program sophomore review, conducted during the 15th week of the spring semester. Students should contact the board-of-study coordinator for specific information on the review process and timeline. Students who do not successfully pass the sophomore review are encouraged to work with the School of Art+Design administration and faculty to find another major that will better fit their educational goals.
Students majoring in graphic design may count a maximum of 4 hours of internship credit toward graduation.
Updates to the 2013–15 College Catalog:
Effective Fall 2016:
- VIS 1250 and 1270 discontinued and replaced by VIS 1330, reducing the credits in foundation courses from 19 to 16.
- Credits increased from 2 to 3 in DES 2460, and decreased from 4 to 3 in DES 2600, 3200, 3510, 3610, and 4100. DES 3450 (3 credits) eliminated from the requirements and discontinued. Total credits for graphic design studio courses have been reduced from 34 to 27.
- Visual arts studio electives have been increased from 15 to 18 credits.
- A graphic design theory requirement has been added (3–4 credits).
- DES 3550/Junior Seminar replaces DES 4090/Senior Seminar.
Effective Fall 2014:
- The modern/contemporary art history elective (under art history courses) has been replaced with ARH 3405 or DES 3300.
- The graphic design studio courses have been reduced from 38 to 34 credits.
- The visual arts studio electives have been increased from 11 to 15 credits.
- All courses previously offered under the VDE prefix are now offered under the DES prefix. The senior project (formerly DES 4990, two semesters, 6 credits total) is now DES 4990/Senior Project I and DES 4991/Senior Project II, 3 credits each.
Updated Jan. 17, 2016
Please direct updates for this page to the managing editor in the Office of the Provost and Academic Affairs. Eight-semester plan updates or questions should be directed to the associate provost.
– For curricular revisions, please refer to the Faculty Handbook.