Approval of Off-Campus Study
Eligible students must secure approval of off-campus study before leaving Purchase and are urged to talk with their faculty advisor as early as possible during the semester preceding the anticipated off-campus study.
If the off-campus study is at an American institution in the U.S., students should obtain a Request for Preapproval to Transfer Credit, available at www.purchase.edu/registrar (under “Forms”) and at the Office of the Registrar. The student completes the form in consultation with his or her advisor, who provides guidance regarding the specifics of the student’s program at another institution. Specific course titles and credits must be indicated on the form. The form is signed by the student and the advisor. The completed form must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar.
Eligiblity for Study Abroad
Studying abroad is a privilege and an honor. To be eligible for study abroad, students must:
- Be in good academic standing:
- Purchase College students are not allowed to participate in study abroad or exchange programs if they are on probation during any part of the proposed period of study abroad.
- Students from other institutions are not allowed to participate in a Purchase College study abroad program if they are on probation during any part of a proposed period of study abroad.
- Have at least sophomore status. Junior transfer students are eligible after they have successfully completed one semester of full-time study at Purchase. Seniors are generally advised against off-campus study unless such study is directly related to the topic of the senior project.
- Obtain a Request for Preapproval to Transfer Credit and the Approval for Study Abroad, available at www.purchase.edu/registrar (under “Forms”) and at the Office of the Registrar. The student completes the form in consultation with his or her advisor, who provides guidance regarding the specifics of the student’s program at another institution. Specific course titles and credits must be indicated on the form. The form is signed by the student and the advisor, then submitted by the student for approval to:
Deirdre Colby Sato, Director
International Programs and Services
Student Services Bldg., Second Floor
Students studying abroad through an approved SUNY program are:
- required to register and pay tuition through Purchase
- not considered to be on academic leave of absence
- required to buy international medical insurance. Contact the Office of International Programs and Services or the Office of Student Financial Services (Enrollment Services) for details.
Conditions and Considerations for Off-Campus Study and Study Abroad
- Leaves are granted for no more than two consecutive semesters for students who enter Purchase as freshmen and who have beginning sophomore or junior status at the time a leave would take effect.
- For the credit earned to be applied toward Purchase matriculation, a grade of D or higher must be earned in academic work taken off campus.
- Study must be done at an accredited institution of higher education.
- Any questions concerning financial aid should be discussed with staff members in the Office of Student Financial Services (Enrollment Services).
- The student should give the Office of Residence Life timely notice of his or her intention not to be in residence at Purchase.
Summer Off-Campus Study
The preceding procedures apply to summer study at any college other than Purchase.
| << Academic Policies home