Immerse yourself in musical theatre! Focus on and improve your musical theatre audition techniques!
Gain confidence and a stronger understanding of the audition process for musical theatre and the many paths to performance! Identify the multitude of character “types” in musical theatre, which will help you choose, prepare, and practice a variety of audition materials.
You will learn:
- To thoughtfully analyze monologues and develop a character;
- How to choose and perfect appropriate audition materials;
- How to prepare for high school, college, and professional auditions.
Participate in master classes and workshops designed to expose you to current trends and topics on the Great White Way! The Musical Theatre Boot Camp culminates in a mock audition with a casting director from a professional theatre, who will give constructive feedback on your monologue and 16-bar vocal audition material.
Typical Day: Students work with three instructors, teaching assistants and special guests to prepare for musical theater auditions and the “Biz of the Biz.”
- Students will warm up to strengthen and stretch the body and voice; play improvisation games which encourage students to make bold, creative choices and free their natural impulses while also working on basic acting skills of concentration, listening, action, and focus.
- Students will be introduced to character development and other acting technique exercises as they work on age-appropriate scenes and monologues from published plays.
- By the end of the week each student will have a monologue selected for audition purposes.
- Students learn the specifics of musical theater voice – how to project the voice and creatively communicate the lyrics of the song. Special attention will be paid to protecting the young voice through voice exercises that build strength and teaching proper singing technique for the stage.
- Students will warm-up every day and work on a variety of musical theater singing styles.
- By the end of the week each student will have 16 bars of a song prepared that is appropriate for auditions.
- Students will be exposed to various dance techniques that might be encountered at an audition; learn choreography; and gain the skills to be able to warm up themselves, which can be used when doing any show.
- The students will be exposed to the process of an actual audition where auditionees are quickly taught a piece of choreography and expected to perform it full out.
- All students will work together to rehearse the singing, acting, and choreography of a number from a Broadway musical to be performed on the last day.
The “Biz of the Biz”
- Students will look at actual audition breakdowns and learn how to properly choose monologues and songs and prepare for auditions they choose to attend.
- There will be at least one guest who will be a theatre professional with whom the students will discuss preparing pictures and resumes, how to find out about auditions, and how to present a 16-bar vocal audition in the competitive world of musical theater.
YTH 9346 / Musical Theatre Boot Camp
Session III: July 25 – 29
Monday – Friday, 9:30am – 4:30 pm (5 sessions)
$890 for the first registration
$800 for the second registration in the family, Purchase College employees and alumni, and early registrations (paid in full by May 6, 2022)
- Students must supply their own jazz shoes and wear them daily.
- Students need to wear comfortable clothes for movement and exercise. Flip-flops, short skirts, or dresses are not permitted.
- The building is air-conditioned; students may want to bring in a sweatshirt.
- Water bottles that can be refilled are recommended.