Improve your observational drawing skills!
The Precollege Drawing Workshop offers a unique opportunity for high school students to gain experience in a variety of drawing techniques, approaches, and materials while connecting with other creative students, sharing and receiving feedback on their drawings, and building a portfolio of work.
Explore drawing as a practice and way to investigate ideas through form and process while building a portfolio.
Become familiar with the elements of 2D design, strengthen observational drawing skills, and experiment with representational and non-representational image-making through graphite, charcoal, and other media.
Enjoy drawing exercises and projects, lessons and demos, critiques and short lectures together with other creative students!
Topics covered include: Line, shape, space, positive and negative space, composition, proportion, perspective, value, tone, scale and format.
Scroll down for a list of supplies.
Virtual Program Details
YTH 9326 DRAWING WORKSHOP
October 7 – November 25
Wednesdays, 4:00 – 6:00 pm
$320 for the first registration
$295 for the second registration in the family, Purchase College employees and alumni, and early registrations (received by September 25, 2020)
- Computer with internet and able to run Zoom.
- Any digital camera (a smartphone camera can also work fine) to photograph your drawings and upload to the class folder online (to share with each other for group critique and feedback).
- 1 sketchbook, at least 5x7”: this can be purchased, or created yourself with recycled paper found at home- we can go over ways to do this in class.
- Graphite pencil (2B) (you likely have this at home, but if you would like to purchase a set of drawing pencils, see “recommended” supplies below)
- Charcoal drawing kit (includes some of the required supplies such as charcoal, kneaded eraser, pencil sharpener, plus additional charcoal pencils and white charcoal): (i.e. https://www.dickblick.com/products/generals-charcoal-pencil-drawing-kit-no-15/)
- Vine or willow charcoal: 1 pack (i.e. https://www.dickblick.com/items/21962-2271/)
- Vinyl eraser: 1 (i.e. https://www.dickblick.com/products/faber-castell-dust-free-vinyl-eraser/)
- Pad of newsprint: 1, 18 x 24”
- Pad of drawing paper: 1, 18 x 24”
- Chamois (scrap of fabric to blend charcoal): cut a piece of an old cotton shirt for free, or (i.e. https://www.dickblick.com/products/natural-artist-chamois/)
- Ruler or straightedge
*If you cannot get the charcoal drawing kit, please search for these items separately:
- Charcoal: 2 packs (i.e. https://www.dickblick.com/products/blick-square-charcoal-sticks/)
- Kneaded eraser:
- Pencil sharpener (manual): (https://www.dickblick.com/products/generals-all-art-pencil-sharpener/)
Recommended (not required):
- Drawing board: (https://www.dickblick.com/items/22945-1002/)
- Set of drawing pencils (a range, i.e. 6H, 3H, HB, 2B, 4B, 6B, etc…) (https://www.dickblick.com/items/22220-2009/)
If you would like to try other drawing materials for more experimentation:
- Sumi ink: (https://www.dickblick.com/products/yasutomo-black-sumi-ink/)
- Round brush for ink: (https://www.dickblick.com/products/blick-bamboo-brush/)
- Soft pastels: (https://www.dickblick.com/items/20016-1009/)
- Drawing pens: (https://www.dickblick.com/items/20702-0359/)