Upstate Accelerated Scholars Application Process
- Students applying to Purchase College should indicate interest in Guaranteed Entry Program with SUNY Upstate Medical University on the Common Application or on the SUNY Supplemental form.
- Students must be accepted to Purchase College to be considered for Guaranteed Entry Program. Please note acceptance into Purchase does not guarantee acceptance to Upstate Accelerated Scholars with SUNY Upstate.
- The Upstate Accelerated Scholars Nomination Committee will evaluate admitted students for eligibility to the program on a rolling basis. Students must meet the minimum pre-college criteria to be considered. The Committee will then make recommendations to SUNY Upstate. Students will be informed if they have been recommended for consideration into Upstate Accelerated Scholars.
- SUNY Upstate Medical will screen candidates recommended by Purchase College on a rolling basis and determine which students will be invited to interview. SUNY Upstate will notify students invited to interview and coordinate accordingly.
- SUNY Upstate will inform students of their decisions and provide a conditional acceptance letter to the students selected. A cohort of up to ten students may be admitted each academic year.
- Accepted students will be required to meet with their Purchase undergraduate academic advisor to craft a course schedule that meets the high academic science/general and major requirements expected of program participants. Unofficial transcripts will be sent to SUNY Upstate at the end of each semester.
Apply by November 15
Please note that Purchase College has a rolling admission process, but students planning to apply for Upstate Accelerated Scholars, must apply by November 15. Students can indicate Yes to Upstate Accelerated Scholars on the Common Application or on the Purchase Supplemental if submitting the SUNY application.
First-Year Students Only
This program is open to incoming freshmen only. Students who have matriculated at the college and transfer students are not eligible for consideration.
One of the goals of this program is to encourage diversity and to provide a pathway to medical school for students from a variety of different academic backgrounds. As a result, students applying to Upstate Accelerated Scholars are encouraged to consider majors outside of biomedical sciences (although students majoring in science will be considered).
Acceptance is Binding
Acceptance into Upstate Accelerated Scholars is binding. Students who apply to other medical schools once accepted into SUNY Upstate will be immediately withdrawn from Upstate Accelerated Scholars. Students applying for F-1 visas are not eligible to apply to Upstate Accelerated Scholars.
Questions relating to the application process should be directed to the Office of Admissions.