Have you thought about earning an advanced degree after you graduate from Purchase?
If so, you’ll want to know about the various partnerships Purchase College has with graduate programs. These partnerships can facilitate your entry into graduate school and make it more affordable.
Graduate School of Education at Fordham University
Purchase College and Fordham University have an agreement that allows Purchase students to apply up to 12 undergraduate credits to a graduate degree leading to a Master of Science in Teaching in Early Childhood Education, Early Childhood Special Education, Childhood Education, Bilingual Childhood Education, Multi-age or Adolescent Education (specializing in Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science, English, Mathematics, Physics, Social Studies), and Special Education grades 7-12.
The following Purchase courses (grade minimum of B) can be applied toward graduate credit:
- Sociology of Education (SOC3500)
- Child Development (PSY2650)
- Critical Disability Studies (SOC3275)
- Adolescent Psychology (PSY 2500)
Applying these credits permits students to complete the Master’s degree in one year.
- Purchase College juniors can apply to the program.
- Students must have a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA.
- Fordham will waive the admissions application fee.
- Students eligible for scholarships will receive a 25 % discount on Fordham tuition.
Read more about admission to the Graduate School of Education at Fordham University
Bank Street School of Education
Purchase College and the Bank Street Graduate School of Education have an agreement that allows students to apply up to 20 undergraduate credits toward their graduate studies leading to a master’s degree in one of the following:
- Early Childhood General Education
- Early Childhood Special and General Education Dual Certification
- Childhood General Education
- Early Childhood and Childhood General Education Dual Certification
The 20 Purchase credits will be applied toward a maximum of 10 credits of graduate work, thus saving Purchase students both graduate tuition and time in the master’s degree program.
Students must have a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA and a minimum grade of B in the following courses:
- PSY 2650/Child Development
- PSY 3490/Development of Language
- PSY 3850/Practicum in Child Development
- SOC 3500 Sociology of Education
- One additional upper-level course in child development or in education, chosen from the following:
- PSY 3330/ Social Development
- PSY 3345/Cognitive Development
- PSY 3725/Developmental Psychopathology
- PSY 3845/Gender Development
Read more about admission to the Bank Street Graduate School of Education.
Long Island University/Hudson
Long Island University/Hudson (LIU Hudson) is located on the Purchase College campus. Purchase students can take 6 graduate credits in any of LIU’s partnership degrees (at a 50% tuition reduction) in their senior year, while completing their undergraduate degree. These credits will apply toward both their undergraduate degree at Purchase College and their master’s degree in education at LIU Hudson. In addition, following graduation from Purchase College, a 25% tuition reduction will apply to all courses taken to complete one of these the master’s degrees at LIU Hudson:
- ED. Middle and Adolescence Education (Grades 5-12) in English, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies
- Ed. Special Education in Adolescence (Generalist, Grades 7-12)
- First Step Teacher Education Program – Masters in Education
- MPA Masters of Public Administration)
- MS Mental Health Counseling (with CASAC option)
- MS Marriage and Family Therapy (with CASAC option)
- MS Ed School Counseling (Bilingual track option)
- MS Ed School Psychology (Bilingual track option)
- Masters of Business Administration
- Accelerated MS in Pharmaceutics ( Specialization in Industrial Pharmacy and Cosmetic Science)
Students must have a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA.
MPA Partnership with Rockefeller College of Public Affairs and Policy
Environmental studies (hyperlink to environmental studies) students who have elected to pursue the policy concentration can finish their bachelor’s degree at Purchase College while simultaneously beginning work on a master’s degree in public administration, (either online or in person), through the Rockefeller College of Public Affairs and Policy, University at Albany. Successful participants enroll in graduate courses during their senior year that simultaneously count toward both the Bachelor of Arts and the Master of Public Administration degrees.
Students must have a minimum 3.2 GPA and have completed 56 credit areas towards a BA in environmental studies, and have a B or higher in two quantitative courses.
SUNY Upstate Medical University College of Medicine, Guaranteed Entrance Program
Purchase College has an agreement with SUNY Upstate Medical University College of Medicine that allows admitted Purchase students seeking any degree (BA, BS, BM or BFA) to be guaranteed acceptance into Upstate’s doctor of Allopathic Medicine (MD) Program. Read more about the eligibility requirements.
SUNY Upstate Medical University College of Medicine, Early Assurance Program
In addition, Sophomores at Purchase College in any major are eligible to apply to the Early Assurance Program at Upstate Medical. Read more about this program.