Purchase College ELL Fall courses for Au Pairs and nonnative English speakers are currently scheduled to be delivered in a REMOTE LEARNING (online) format.
If New York State and SUNY COVID-19 health guidelines are such that courses can be delivered in person, any changes will be posted on purchase.edu/ell. Registered students will also be notified by email.
Important Information for Au Pairs
How can you reach the 60, 72, or 80 hour (6 credit) education requirement?
All Purchase College noncredit courses including all ELL noncredit courses meet the United States government education requirement for J1 Au pairs. There are several ways for you to obtain the required education. Choose from a variety of interesting and engaging weekday (20 or 24 hour) courses and/or weekend (20, 30, or 40 hour) courses over a length of time that suits your schedule as described below. Earn an additional 2, 4, or 6 hours once per semester by completing a Dig Deeper assignment.
We are happy to help you determine how best to meet your goals!
Note on remote learning:
For weekday courses attendance is NOT required at any scheduled virtual time. Attendance is based on completion of assignments.
All weekend courses include required attendance at the scheduled virtual time and completion of all assignments.
Earn up to 6 hours by digging deeper into an area studied in an ELL course this semester. Choose from material specially selected to broaden and deepen knowledge. Submit a written paper which, based on guidelines, may be a reaction paper, a summary, or similar. The paper will be 1 to 4 pages, depending upon the number of hours requested.
- Register for Dig Deeper once per semester
- Must register for a weekday or weekend course at the same time or prior to (before) registering for Dig Deeper
- Must remain enrolled in one weekday or weekend course in order to receive a certificate for the additional hours
o If Dig Deeper assignment is completed and certificate issued prior to the start, or within the refund period, of the enrolled weekday or weekend course, no refund will be given for one course. Regular ELL refund policy will be followed for any additional courses.
- Assignment must be completed at least 5 business days before the end of a semester
o Choose from assignments worth 2, 4, or 6 hours
o Categories include language, professional, creative /cultural topics
- Certificate of completion will be issued by email within 3 business days of submission of assignment
20 hours (20 hours = approximately 1.5 - 1.7 non-academic credits) Attendance, participation, completion of assignments as directed.
24 hours (24 hours = approximately 1.8 - 2.0 non-academic credits). In addition to the 20 hour course requirements, an expansion assignment, as directed by the course instructor, must be completed to receive an additional 4 hours. Please note: Students may register for a 20 hour course and, upon payment of the tuition difference, transfer to 24 hours anytime within the same semester. (A course expansion assignment must be completed as directed.)
* TOEFL Prep course.
Tuition: 20hrs: $205; 24hrs: $240.
All 20 hour, 30 hour, and 40 hours students MUST complete the 20 hour requirements. Please note: No partial hours are awarded.
20 hours (20 hours = approximately 1.5 - 1.7 non-academic credits)
A pre-assignment is due 9 a.m. on the first day of the course unless otherwise stated and 100% attendance on Saturday and Sunday (9 a.m.–5 p.m.) is required.
30 hours (30 hours = approximately 2.3 - 2.5 non-academic credits):
In addition to the 20 hour requirements, a post-assignment is due (a 2 1/2 - 3 page paper, or equivalent as assigned, based on course content) within 30 days of course completion.
40 hours (40 hours = approximately 3.0 - 3.3 non-academic credits)
In addition to the 20 hour requirements, a post-assignment is due (a 5–7 page paper, or equivalent as assigned, based on course content) within 30 days of course completion.
Please check with your au pair agency for exact information about required hours and credits.
- 20 hours: A certificate is presented at the end of the last class meeting. (Weekend classes: a certificate is presented at the end of the Sunday class.)
- 24 hours: A certificate is presented at the end of the last class meeting or, for students who have changed from 20 to 24 hours after the course has ended, a certificate for the additional 4 hours will be awarded after the expansion activity has been submitted and accepted.
- 30 hours: A certificate will be mailed after the post-assignment is received and accepted by the course faculty. Failure to submit an accepted post-assignment within the designated time will result in the loss of 10 hours. In that case, the certificate for 20 hours will be awarded if student has complied with all requirements for 20 hours credit.
- 40 hours: A certificate will be emailed after the post-assignment is received and accepted by the course faculty. Failure to submit an accepted post-assignment within the designated time will result in the loss of 20 hours. In that case, the certificate for 20 hours will be awarded if student has complied with all requirements for 20 hours credit.
Questions and Assistance
We answer emails promptly. If you don’t receive a response, please check your junk or spam email folder. Call 914-251-6503 and leave a message with your name, phone number, and the best time to call you.
Please do not hesitate to contact us with questions or for assistance in registering for your course(s).