Explore English Language Learning in challenging, educational, and entertaining classes. Au pairs can fulfill J1 education requirements and adult nonnative English speakers will improve English language proficiency.
All Purchase College noncredit courses including all ELL noncredit courses meet the United States government education requirement for J1 au pairs.
Note: Purchase College ELL spring courses for au pairs and nonnative English speakers are currently scheduled to be delivered in a remote learning (online) format.
If New York State and SUNY COVID-19 health guidelines are such that courses can be delivered in person, any changes will be posted on purchase.edu/ell. Registered students will also be notified by email.
Why Purchase College?
- A wide variety of courses that are:
- student centered
- useful for achieving future goals
- taught by highly qualified instructors with expertise in their field in a friendly, supportive atmosphere.
- Beautiful 550 acre campus
- Neuberger Museum of Art, Performing Arts Center, and Starbucks® on campus
- Food court and vegetarian dining options
- Lectures, exhibitions, films, performances that are open to the public
Buy a $20 MORE Card (Purchase College Student ID) and enjoy these benefits:
- Free entry to the Neuberger Museum of Art
- Discount tickets to The Performing Arts Center
- Join Purchase College Clubs (e.g. International Student, etc.) and intramural teams
- Receive student discounts at museums and other venues in NYC
- Ride the Loop (regularly scheduled transportation to/from White Plains and Port Chester)
- Check out materials from the Purchase College Library
- Lectures, exhibitions, films, and performances that are open to the public
- Use of athletic facilities including pool and fitness center
Convenient Location in NYC Suburbs
Visit Purchase College and discover the convenience of taking classes on the beautiful 550-acre campus.
This program offers a variety of exciting, enriching, and interactive courses to help you achieve your goals.
Choose from business-oriented, culture, and language-specific courses, such as
- Becoming a More Effective Leader
- Business English: Consumer Psychology
- American Pop Culture
- NYC Faces & Places
- Idioms, Phrasal Verbs, and Slang
- Great Grammar and Confident Conversation
All courses are student centered, interactive, and taught by highly qualified instructors in a friendly, supportive atmosphere.
For J1 Au Pairs and Adult ESL Students
This program was developed to meet the interests, schedules, budgets, and U.S. government education requirements for J1 au pairs, but it’s also well-suited for adult non-native English speakers.
There are several ways for you to get 6 credits by taking courses in multiple sessions or combining programs. Earn 20, 24, 30 or 40 hours toward your U.S. government education requirement in weekday or weekend courses.
From our students:
- <div class="lw_blurbs_title"><p>“I think the reason to why it felt interesting every single minute was because of the teacher and the classmates. Everybody felt so engaged and focused, and the room had a really good vibe ...100% satisfied and happy about my course choice …” Erika L.</p></div>
- <div class="lw_blurbs_title"><p>“It was a pleasure to take the courses at Purchase College!” ELL – Katarzyna D.</p></div>
- <div class="lw_blurbs_title"><p>“I attended the Business and Communication class last year (Fall 2016) and I loved it everything, from the teachers to the beautiful campus and your extraordinary support to all of us, the students.” Ana Carolina J. (Student from Brazil)</p></div>
- <div class="lw_blurbs_title"><p>“Thank you for your help, it’s wonderful talk with people like you so nice and helpful.” ELL Student</p></div>