All campus residents and all faculty and staff can utilize the free voice mail system. Anyone with voice mail should also consider utilizing the free "Unified Messaging" system that delivers your voice mail to your email account in addition to your voice mailbox.
TO INITIALIZE YOUR VOICE MAILBOX:
- Dial extension 7878. Press [#] when asked to indicate you have a voice mailbox on the system.
- Enter the personal voice mailbox number assigned to you. For faculty and staff - in most cases, the voice mailbox number is the same as your phone extension. For students and faculty or staff who share a telephone extension, you will have an assigned number that is different from your phone extension.
- The system will ask for your assigned password. Enter your temporary password.
- Enter a new confidential password and then press [#] . It is important that you make this number between 4 and 15 digits. There is no reason to give out your personal password. This information is not necessary to leave a message.
- Then you must record just your first and last name. This is for identification purposes.
- Finally, you will need to record a personal greeting. Example: "This is John Doe. I'm away from my room. Please leave a message and I will return your call later." Press [#] to accept your greeting.
IF YOU FORGOT YOUR VOICE MAIL PASSWORD:
- If you forget your voice mail password, call the CTS helpdesk to request a reset.
TO TRANSFER CALLS TO THE VOICE MAIL SYSTEM:
- Once a menu has been created for your extension, unanswered calls will go directly into voice mail (except for call waiting). If you answer the phone for someone who is not in the room, you may transfer the call to voice mail by doing the following:
- Press the switch-hook. Then press [*]  . (You will hear a dial tone)
- Dial 7878; at the prompt, dial the room's telephone extension and then hang up. (Note: If the menu is not yet built for your room, instruct the caller to dial the personal voice mailbox number to leave a message)
- An off-campus caller may also leave a message by dialing directly into the voice mail system (914-251-7878) and then dialing the personal voice mailbox number or extension.
TO RETRIEVE/SEND VOICE MAIL MESSAGES:
- Dial 7878 (or from off-campus, dial 914-251-7878). Wait for voice mail greeting and then press [#]
- Enter your box number. Enter your password. Follow prompts.
TO CHANGE YOUR PERSONAL GREETING
- Follow the instructions to retrieve your messages.
- When the prompt says "Main Menu," press  .
- Then follow the prompts to change your personal greeting.