Student Services


Student Services - Ask Me

Here you will find answers to commonly asked questions.  If you are unable to find your answer(s) here, please use the 'ASK ME' link, at left, to contact us.  You will also find links to the sites of the Student Services Offices at left.
Visit Section: Ombuds Office Registrar's Office
  Advising Center Learning Center
  Student Financial Services Student Affairs
  Health Services Liberal Studies & Continuing Education
  Parking Services Library
  More Card Access and Accommodations Office
  Career Development Center Counseling Center

Note that the section headers are email links for that department. 

Office of the Ombudsman

Q: What does the Ombudsman do for students?
A: The Ombudsman assists students in several capacities including helping students navigate the campus systems, including the disciplinary system, assisting students who are experiencing difficulty using administrative offices, and helping students negotiate the complicated world of higher education finance.

Q: Can the Ombudsman help me get a grade changed?
A: No, the Ombudsman does not get involved in grade disputes. These matters should be brought to the dean of the particular division the course is in.

Registrar’s Office

Q: How do I request a transcript?
A: Transcripts can be ordered through the online service at They can also be requested in writing by mail, fax, or in person at the Registrar's Office on the first floor of the Student Services building. The transcript request form is available for download on the Transcript Request Procedure page.

Q: How much is the transcript fee?
A: There is no fee. All students are billed $5 on their semester bill.

Q: There’s a flag on my account. Can I still get a transcript?
A: No, not if the flag denotes a monetary obligation. 

Q: Can I pay my flag in the Registrar’s office?
A: No, you must pay at the department issuing the flag.

Q: What does "matriculated" mean?
A: A matriculated student is enrolled in a degree-seeking program. A student can be full-time and still be non-matriculated, or a student can be part-time and matriculated.

Q: Do I have to see my advisor to register?
A: Yes, unless you are a non-matriculated student.

Q: How many credits are required to be a full time student?
A: 12 credits are required for undergraduate students. For graduate students, 9 are required.

Q: How many credits do I need to be eligible for on-campus housing?
A: In order to remain in campus housing, you must be registered for a minumum of 12 credits (full-time status).

Q: Can I register online?
A: Yes, as long as you are not a new freshman and you have an Advisor Access Code (AAC).

Q: How do I get my AAC?
A: You should visit your academic advisor and request one. You can find out who your advisor is by clicking “View Your Student Info” on the "Home"  tab at

Q: My course is closed.  Can the Registrar enroll me anyway?
A: No, you need to contact the instructor of that specific course and request an Instructor Access Code (IAC).

Q: How many credits can I take in one semester?
A: Students in the Liberal Arts and Sciences program can take up to 18 credits. Students in the School of the Arts may take up to 21 credits.

Q: I want to take more credits than my program allows.  What do I do?
A: You should contact your advisor for an Overload Access Code (OAC).

Q: How do I get put on academic probation?
A: In the school of Liberal Arts & Sciences, you will be placed on academic probation if your
cumulative GPA drops below a 2.0. The School of the Arts has its own set of regulations. Please visit the appropriate division head for more information.

Q: Can I take classes at my community college (or any other college) and transfer them in?
A: Yes, you may transfer credit as long as the community college is an accredited institution. Be sure to fill out a Pre-approval to Transfer Credits and acquire all applicable signatures first.

Q: What kind of credits will transfer?
A: Credits will transfer as either Liberal Arts or non-Liberal Arts. You can use 90 transfer credits altogether, but a maximum of 30 non-Liberal Arts credits will be applicable to your degree.

Advising Center

Q: Why do I need to meet with my Academic Advisor?
A: Your Academic Advisor is an invaluable resource for your academic career at Purchase.
Consulting with your advisor about your schedule is necessary to confirm you are taking the
proper courses for your general education requirements as well as your Board of Study. Course loads, credit/degree requirements, academic support information, and other academic issues are also very important topics to consistently discuss with your advisor to ensure your graduation from Purchase.

Q: How do I figure out who my Academic Advisor is?
A: You can access that information by clicking "View Your Student Info" on the "Home" tab at Your advisor's name also appears at the top of your Advising Transcript, which can be accessed through the "Advising" tab.

Q: How do I switch majors/advisors?
A: Students in the School of Liberal Arts and Sciences can use the Declaration of Major / Change of Advisor form to declare or change their major. This form must be signed by the faculty member who will serve as your advisor in your intended Board of Study. Certain Boards of Study also require the signature of the Program Director. If you are just changing your advisor, you only need to complete the bottom of the form with the signature of your new advisor. Students in the School of Art + Design should use the Art + Design Declaration of Major form and follow the instructions given. All other students in the School of the Arts should consult with their conservatory office if they wish to change or declare their concentration. Students who wish to do an internal transfer should review the policies and procedures. Additionally, there are Change of Advisor forms available in the Registrar's Office on the first floor of the Student Services building.

Q: How do I declare a minor?
A: Students can declare a minor by completing the Application for a Program of Minor Study with the faculty member of the Board of Study who will serve as their minor advisor.

Learning Center

Q: How do I know when a tutor will be available?
A: Simply stop by The Learning Center or call (914)251-3997 to schedule a tutoring session. The Learning Center is located on the second floor of the Student Services building, Room 213.

Q: How should I prepare for a tutoring session?
A: Please bring your current work, relevant questions, and your assignment sheets.

Q: Will a tutor “fix” my paper or help me to complete my homework?
A: Our tutors will not “fix” papers or complete any work for students. However, students should expect the tutors to be knowledgeable about their subject areas. Tutors will help you to build necessary skills to succeed in your courses. 

Q: Is there a cost for tutoring services?
A: No. Services of the Learning Center are free of charge for Purchase College students.

Q: How well-qualified are the tutors?
A: Tutors undergo a stringent application and review process prior to being hired. All are first recommended by faculty and/or administrators here at Purchase, and have excelled in the courses for which they tutor. In addition, all tutors undergo training throughout the duration of their employment.

Q: Do you provide tutoring in the Natural Sciences?
A: Yes. The Einstein Corner provides tutoring in Math, Chemistry, Psychology, Biology, and other sciences to Natural Sciences majors. The Einstein Corner is located on the third floor of the Natural Sciences building, room 3046. The Learning Center does offer tutoring in math fluency.

Q: How can I take the math fluency exam or the foreign language placement exam?
A: To schedule an appointment to take the math fluency exam or the foreign language placement exam, please contact the Learning Center at (914)251-3997 or If you would like help preparing for the exam, you can also scheule a tutoring appointment for the appropriate subject.

Student Financial Services

Q: Can I still apply for Financial Aid?
A: Yes! You can definitely still apply for financial aid! However, if you are applying late for aid, you are responsible for the balance in your account until your aid comes in for reimbursement. You can start the process by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at Please use the Federal School Code 006791 in the application.

Q: When can I view my semester eBill and how often?
A: Your Student Financial Services (SFS) eBill can be viewed as often as you wish throughout the semester. The eBill presents you real-time information regarding your charges, financial aid, payments, and refunds within the semester. It provides you with helpful information and options in managing your semester finances.

Q: How do I access my eBill?
A: Simply log on to and you will find the “Semester Bill”
link located in the "Finances" section of the website. You will need to use your full e-mail
account and e-mail password to log into your eBill. More information can be found at

Q: What do I need to do when I access my eBill?
A: When you have successfully logged in to view your eBill, you should review the charges, the financial aid, and credits. Make certain that your account is accurate as the eBill should reflect the real-time information SFS has at the time you are viewing your charges and credits. If you see that your account has zero (0) balance due, no action is required. Remaining balances in your account will require payment on or before the indicated deadline on the eBill. Review, download, and save your eBill for future reference. You can also e-mail your eBill to your parent/guardian or to companies that need a copy of your semester charges such as college savings plans, military or employee benefits and private
insurance proof of semester activity.

Q: How do I change or remove my meal plan?
A: Please change your meal plan online at under the "Finances" tab.

Q: How do I waive the school’s medical insurance?
A: If you have your own insurance or are covered under your parents’, please go to and click on the “Insurance Waiver” link found under the "Finances" tab. Log in with your e-mail account and e-mail password when prompted. Foreign Students must contact the Office of International Affairs and Services to waive the insurance. You must provide proof of coverage on or before the deadlines indicated in your eBill. Providing your medical insurance coverage is required every year to successfully
waive the college coverage.

Q: Can my parents access my eBill?
A: Yes. With our parental access program, you can have up to three other recipients be
able to log in to your eBill. Simply log on to the Parent/Guest Access Management
program under the "Campus Resources" tab at and follow the instructions. You can give access to your guardian/parents, not only to your eBill but to various programs available to you that you wish to share with them.

Q: My parents have a College Savings Plan set up for me. How do we remit the payments to you?
A: You must handle all paperwork and provide your Plan representative the semester’s
charges. They will then remit the payments to us directly. Late filing will be considered as
late payment.

Q: What is the Federal School Code required by my College Savings Plan?
A: Please notify your plan of the following Federal School Code: 006791 & Campus Code: 00.
NOTE: If you do not see your financial aid award on your eBill, you may require further
steps to receive this award. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid at for assistance. If you require assistance regarding your eBill, please e-mail us at

Student Affairs

Leaving the college, voluntary withdrawal, medical leave, personal leave:

Q: I want to leave the college. What do I need to do?
A: You need to complete an Application for a Peronal Leave of Absence or Voluntary Withdrawal from the College form and check off “voluntary withdrawal." Please visit Leaves and Withdrawals for the form and more information.

Q: I want to take a leave for a non-medical reason. What do I need to do?
A: You need to complete an Application for a Peronal Leave of Absence or Voluntary Withdrawal from the College form and check off “personal leave.” Please visit Leaves and Withdrawals for the form and more information.

Q: I want to take a leave for a substance, mental health, or physical health reason. What do I need to do?
A: You need to contact either Health Services (for physical health) or Counseling (for substance or mental health) and request a medical leave through that office. The information and your signed Medical Leave of Absence Handout form will be forwarded to the Office of Student Affairs (with your signed consent) where the final decision is made. Please visit Leaves and Withdrawals for the form and more information, including information about returning from medical leaves.

Q: I want to take a leave to take classes at another college. What do I need to do?
A: You need to complete a pre-approval to transfer credits form. Please see Academic Leaves for the form and more information.

Community standards, discipline, police reports, student affairs report:

Q: How can I report a situation that I need help with involving a fellow student?
A: You can file reports through University Police and through Student Affairs. If you have questions, or are unsure if you want to file a report, you can speak with one of the staff members in the Office of Community Standards. Please visit the Office of Community Standards for contact information.

Q: I was recently “written up” as violating a college discipline policy (not related to
 academic integrity).  What can I expect to happen? 

A: You should check your Purchase email account daily, as you will receive a specification of charges letter that will schedule an appointment for you with the staff member who will hear your case (initial conference). The specification of charges letter is generated based on the information alleged in the report. You will have the opportunity to read the incident and/or police report(s), to tell the person hearing the case whether you are responsible or not responsible for each of the charges, and to discuss the incident you were written up for. This is the first step in the discipline process, and additional steps will be explained in that meeting. 

Q: How do I find out what things are against the rules at Purchase College?
A: The Community Standards of Conduct are available online, and all discipline charges, sanctions, and procedures are outlined in that document. Please view the Community Standards of Conduct.

Q: What kinds of consequences happen if I violate the Community Standards of
A: Consequences are determined based on minimum and maximum sanction ranges. The seriousness of the incident and any prior discipline history influence what sanction from the range is applied. Some charges have recommended standards, which are applied unless there is an extenuating circumstance.

Liberal Studies & Continuing Education

Q: What is the difference between Liberal Studies and Liberal Arts and Sciences?
A: Liberal Studies is an interdisciplinary major designed for adults and transfer students where students take a wide variety of courses. It is the only major available for students who can only take evening classes. Bachelor degrees offered include: Liberal Studies, Liberal Studies: Arts, Liberal Studies: Communications/Media Studies, and Liberal Studies: Legal Studies. Liberal Arts and Sciences is the umbrella under which students would find specific majors, such as Psychology, Literature, or Economics, and requires students to take classes during the day.

Q: How do I change my major to Liberal Studies?
A: Students interested in changing their major to Liberal Studies must first schedule an advising appointment with a Liberal Studies advisor. Bachelor degrees offered include: Liberal Studies, Liberal Studies: Arts, Liberal Studies: Communications/Media Studies, and Liberal Studies: Legal Studies. At this appointment, the advisor will review your credits, explain the Liberal Studies program, and outline your remaining requirements for the Liberal Studies degree. To schedule an appointment, call the School of Liberal Studies at (914)251-6500 (press option 1 to speak with someone) or email

Q: What classes do I need to take for the Liberal Studies degree?
A: Due to the interdisciplinary nature of Liberal Studies, there are few specific classes required. Instead, students take a certain number of credits in each area of Humanities, Social Sciences, Natural Sciences, and the Arts. To best understand the degree, students should schedule an appointment with a Liberal Studies advisor. To schedule an appointment, call the School of Liberal Studies at (914)251-6500 (press option 1 to speak with someone) or email

Q: How can I get in touch with a Liberal Studies professor?  I want an IAC for his/her class.
A: Since professors in the School of Liberal Studies program are adjuncts, the Liberal Studies advisors take on the responsibility of IACs for their faculty. In addition, no IACs are given to Arts or Liberal Arts & Sciences students before the beginning of add/drop. Prior to add/drop, most seats in Liberal Studies classes are reserved for LS majors. This is to ensure that students who can only attend at night get first priority on the evening classes. On the first day of add/drop, any remaining seats are open on a first-come, first-served basis to any student at the College. So a class that appears closed during registration week may be open during add/drop of the following semester. If a class is still closed during add/drop, students can contact the School of Liberal Studies to determine if they are eligible for an IAC. Please note that IACs to Liberal Studies classes are given out very rarely, and only after a LS advisor confirms that students meet all of the following criteria:
1) Is graduating in the current semester
2) Needs this specific class to graduate
3) No other class that is still open fulfills the graduation requirement
4) Note that courses offered at the Rockland extension site are open only to those students enrolled in the Purchase at Rockland program. Go to or email for more information.

For further questions, please call the School of Liberal Studies at (914)251-6500 (press option 1 to speak with someone) or email

Q: Do Liberal Studies majors need to do a Senior Project?
A: The traditional Senior Project is not required for Liberal Studies majors. However, Liberal Studies majors who matriculated at Purchase Fall 2005 or later are required to complete a one-semester research and writing intensive Senior Capstone course.

Q: What kind of job can I get with a Liberal Studies major?
A: Because of its interdisciplinary nature, the Liberal Studies degree prepares students for careers in a wide variety of fields. Liberal Studies graduates have gone on to careers in education, law, public health, numerous sectors of business, and many more. If you have specific questions about what kind of job might be right for you, or how to get an internship to provide some valuable, real life experience, please contact the Career Development Center at (914)251-6370 for more information.

Health Services

Q. Who can access care at Health Services?
A. All matriculated students, regardless of health insurance coverage, can be seen at Health Services without charge for visits. Non-matriculated Continuing Education students may also be seen for a $25 visit fee.

Q. How do I access care at Health Services?
A. Health Services is located in the lower level of Campus Center South and is open Monday through Friday 8:30AM-5:00PM when classes are in session. Summer hours for medical care are Monday and Thursday 8:00AM-4:00PM. Please call (914)251-6385 to make an appointment. Health Services is staffed by physicians, nurse practitioners and registered nurses.

Q. What services are offered at Health Services?
A. Primary care services (acute and chronic), women’s and men’s health issues, physical exams for work, Children’s Center and travel abroad, immunizations, allergy desensitization. In addition, laboratory services and diagnostic tests are offered; medications, including birth control, are available.

Q. What if I am sick at night or over the weekend?
A. If you are sick and unsure if you need to see a doctor right away, you may call Dr. Nancy Reuben (914-251-6380, option #2 for instructions) for medical advice. The Westchester Medical Group Urgent Care Center (914-681-3100) is open Monday-Friday, 9:00AM-9:00PM and Saturday and Sunday 9:00AM-5:00PM. If the situation is a true emergency, call x6911 for the University Police.

Q. How can I take care of flags for Health Services (HM, HP and HD)?
A. HM (money owed to Health Services) – pay by phone (914-251-6380) with a credit card or in person with cash, check, More card or credit card. HP (physical needed) or HD (other medical needs) – call 914-251-6380 for explanation.

Parking Services

Q:  Do I have to purchase a parking permit?
A:  It is the policy of Purchase College that all students/faculty/staff must register their car to the campus.  This means they must purchase and properly display the parking decal.

Q:  How do I order a parking permit online?
A:  Parking Permits can be ordered online through the "Campus Resources" tab at Click on the link to order parking permits online and fill out all of the necessary information.

Q:  Where do I pick up my permit once I ordered it online?
A:  Parking Permits can be picked up in Campus Center North room 1014 in the Parking and Transportation office. 

Q:  Can I register for a parking permit in person?
A:  Yes. You need to bring a valid copy of your car’s registration and a Purchase ID (More Card).

Q:  Where does the parking permit need to be displayed?
A:  The permit needs to be placed on the INSIDE of the car on the small passenger window behind the driver. 

Q:  Where do I obtain a guest or visitor parking permit?
A:   Students can obtain guest passes from the manager of their respective residence hall.  For all of the apartment residents, the office is located in the Olde at J 21.  For all dormitory residents, the office is located in Big Haus in A 18.  The guest must register their car, hang the decal in the rear-view mirror, and park the car in the W-2 parking lot.

Q:  How do I appeal a ticket?
A:  You have two weeks from the date of the ticket's issuance to appeal. The appeal form can be picked up from the Parking and Transportation Office or downloaded from the bottom or right side of the Parking and Transportation Office's page here. You must complete the form and turn it in with the ticket or a copy. The next available hearing date will be assigned and the decision will be rendered by a hearing officer.

Q:  What if I cannot attend the appeal hearing?
A:  You are encouraged to attend the parking appeal hearing. If for some reason you are not able to attend the appeal paperwork that was submitted will serve as your testimony for the hearing.

Q:  What happens after the hearing?
A:  You will be notified by mail of the hearing decision. The decision of the hearing officerwill be final. If the ticket is found to be guilty or reduced, payment must be made within 14 days.  If payment is not received, tickets go into delinquency and the original fines will be re-instated if they had been reduced prior. A penalty will be incurred after 90 days.

More Card

Q: What is a More Card?
A: The More Card is the official identification card at Purchase College. It is issued for identification, access to essential campus services such as the Library, Fitness Center, Parking, Shuttle Bus, Check Cashing, and Meal Plans. In addition, students can get discounted admission at the Performing Arts Center and the Neuberger Museum. They can also use it on or off campus at popular restaurants and service providers. Stop in to the More Card Office for a list of current sponsors or visit

Q: How do I get a More Card?
A: You can obtain your More Card at the More Card Office located in Campus Center North (CCN) Room 1009. You need to bring a valid driver’s license or a state issued ID (i.e. passport). The fee for this card is included in your student services fee.

Q: How do I register my More Card?
A: Once you receive your More Card visit and follow the simple step-by-step instructions.

Q: What if I lose my More Card?
A: Immediately visit or call 1-866-914-MORE to suspend your More Dollars account. To receive a replacement card visit the More Card Office. There is a replacement fee of $15.00.

Q: How do I change or remove my meal plan?
A: Please change your meal plan online by clicking “Meal Plan Change” under the “Finances” tab at



Q: How do I get help from a librarian?
A: Use our Ask Us 24/7 page. We offer 24/7 help (yes, really 24/7) through our online chat service. Or, you can email us, stop by, or call, or text us. All the info is on our Ask Us 24/7 page.

Q: Where can I find out what the library hours are?
A: See our Hours page.

Q: How do I find books?
A: Search the library catalog using the search box in the middle of the Library homepage.

Q: How do I find articles?
A: See our Finding Articles page.

Q: How do I renew materials?
A: You can renew materials online or in-person. For instructions on renewing online, see How to Renew Your Materials.

Q: Does the Library have DVDs, and how do I find out what you have?
A: Yes. We have thousands of DVDs, both academic materials and popular items. You can use the catalog search box in the middle of the Library homepage to find them. For instructions, see our Finding DVDs and Videos page.

Q: How do I find senior project formatting information?
A: See our Senior Project page.

Q: How do I use library resources from off-campus?
A: You can access our online databases, journals, and other materials from anywhere. See our page about Logging In From Off-Campus.

Counseling Center

Q: Is there counseling available on campus? If so, how can I get an appointment and what will it cost?
A: Yes. Professionally trained therapists are available and all services are confidential. What is discussed is between you and your therapist. Appointments are available Monday - Friday, 9:00AM - 5:00PM. All services are free of charge.

Q: What is considered a “problem” in order to receive therapy?
A: Anything you consider important enough to discuss: shyness, depression, sexuality, relationships, academic difficulties, family concerns, whatever is on your mind. You do not have to be in a crisis to utilize the Counseling Center.

Q: What services are offered by the Counseling Center?
A: Short term individual and group therapy, crisis intervention, initial psychiatric consultation and affordable private referrals are all offered. In addition, workshops and ongoing support groups such as Adult Children of Dysfunctional Families and Students with Eating Concerns are offered. 

Access and Accommodations Office

Q: To whom do I speak about accommodations for disabilities (mobility, sensory, learning, health-related, etc.)?
A: Students with documented disabilities are eligible for special services. Access and Accommodations Office oversees all accommodations. Call the Access and Accommodations office at (914) 251-6035 for more details.

Career Development Center

Q: What kind of services does the Career Development Center provide?
A: The Career Development Center (CDC) provides career-related services and programs that help Purchase College students throughout their college years and beyond. Services include career counseling and interest assessment, career educational programming, and job and internship resources that assist undergraduates, graduate students, and alumni across academic disciplines.

Q: What are some events/programs the Career Development Center offers?
A: The Career Development Center provides a wide variety of programs for students studying within the School of the Arts well as the Liberal Arts and Sciences. The CDC offers workshops covering many topics including: Resume Writing, Interview Skills, Graduate School, Finding a Summer Job, Networking, Making Major and Career Decisions, Job Search Strategies, Diversity, Making the Most of Your Internship and more. Some special events include the annual Job and Internship Fair, Graduate School Expo, Alumni and Professional Career Panels, Careers Abroad, and special programs such as Artist Prep and Promotion Week, Graduate School Week, Job Fair Prep Week, and Senior Week. Additionally, the CDC hosts events where alumni and professionals from various fields speak to students via Alumni/Student Networking Events, Dress for Success, Dining Etiquette, and more. In addition, throughout the academic year, employers host Employer Information Tables as well as Information Sessions where students can learn about various organizations and their opportunities.

Q: At what types of organizations do students find internships and job opportunities?
A: Students can gain academic credit through internships. The Academic Internship Program at Purchase College is designed to give students practical experience in their area of academic study or in other fields of interest. Students intern at various organizations in industries ranging from the Arts, Media, Communications, and Technology to Business, Education, Social Services/Not-for-Profit, and Government. Internships help to prepare students with skills and experience needed for future job and career opportunities. Purchase students find employment with organizations such as: Magazines, Newspapers, Publishing Companies, Radio/TV Stations, Film Studios, Entertainment Companies, Public Relations/Marketing Firms, Dance/Theater Companies, Theaters, Music Labels, Galleries, Museums, Social Service Agencies, Government Agencies, Political Campaigns, Banks, Financial Service Companies, Hospitals, Labs, Schools, and more. Students locate internships and job opportunities by accessing the Purchase JobScore system, a customized on-line job and internship system exclusively for Purchase College. For a complete list of opportunities visit- Purchase JobScore.

For more information please visit