Changes to Turnitin Activities in Moodle
- Turnitin is switching its integration with Moodle from the Turnitin Assignment activity to the Turnitin Assignment 2 activity.
- If you are still using the old Turnitin Assignment, whenever you open an old format Turnitin activity from now to the end of the semester, you will get a message asking if you want to convert it to the newer format. Conversion of Turnitin assignments during this time is optional.
- Beginning January 1, 2019, opening an old format Turnitin activity will automatically convert it to the new format, as Turnitin will no longer support the old format.
Please consider the following:
- This conversion does not affect your assignments on the Turnitin site, papers that have been submitted by students, or any comments or grades you have assigned on the papers. It only changes how you access your assignments at Turnitin through your Moodle course.
- During the conversion, Turnitin will create a new Turnitin Assignment 2 activity for the assignment being converted, copy over the information from the old assignment to the new one, and (if successful) delete the old Turnitin Assignment activity.
- The new Turnitin Assignment 2 activity will be created in the Week 0 / Topic 0 area of your course, so you may need to move it to the section of the course where you want it.
- The new Turnitin Assignment 2 activity will be listed at the main level of the course gradebook, so if you had the original in some category in the gradebook you would need to move the new activity into that grade category.
- If you have overridden the grade for any student(s) on an old Turnitin Assignment activity by entering grades directly in the gradebook, the conversion process will not be able to update those grades, and the conversion will be incomplete. The new activity will be created and all of the information copied over, but not all the grades will be transferred in the gradebook and the old assignment will not be deleted. You’ll need to manually enter the missing grades in the gradebook and then manually delete the old format assignment. You’ll get a message from the Turnitin conversion if this is the case.
What’s new in Turnitin Assignment 2?
- Access to PeerMark (for peer review of assignments)
- The option to upload any file type to Turnitin
- The ability to email non-submitters
- Notification sent when a student submits (you can control this in your Notifications preferences panel in Moodle)
- Shared rubrics
- Ability to create a Turnitin support ticket in Moodle
Please note: Turnitin will be unavailable on Sat., January 5, 2019, 11:00am-7:00pm due to scheduled maintenance. More at Turnitin System Status.
If you have any questions, contact us at TLTC@purchase.edu.