Grades and Grading Policies
Grade Lists and Submission of Grades | Grading System
Grade Lists and Submission of Grades
Faculty members submit grades online under myHeliotrope on my.purchase.edu. If you have any difficulties accessing your class list, contact the Office of the Registrar.
All grades must be submitted no later than three days after the end of semester or session. The due date for each fall and spring semester’s grades is published in the academic calendar.
After grades have been submitted, they are available to students under myHeliotrope on my.purchase.edu. Grade reports are not mailed to students. To protect students’ privacy and comply with FERPA, grades cannot be posted (either by name or by the student’s Social Security number or by any other method that may reveal a student’s identity) or given out over the telephone.
Detailed information on the grading system is available in the Purchase College Catalog under Academic Policies: Grading Policies and updates on the College Policies site.
- Fall/Spring semesters only: If “P” (instead of “A”) appears in front of any student’s name on your grade list, that student should be graded “P” (pass) or “NC” (no credit).
Grades are described as follows:
- A+, A, A- = Superior
- B+, B, B- = Good
- C+, C, C- = Satisfactory
- D = Minimum Passing Grade
- F = Failure
- AU, W, WF, and I (see below)
- SP, UP, and NP (see below)
After an instructor has submitted a student’s grade to the Office of the Registrar via myHeliotrope, the grade may be changed only with the approval of the appropriate associate or assistant dean (or, in the School of Liberal Studies & Continuing Education, the director of academic programs). The final evaluation, however, is the prerogative of the instructor.
- If there has been a clerical error or if the student believes that the grade received is inaccurate, the student should discuss the evaluation with the instructor.
- If there are more questions, the student should discuss the evaluation with the coordinator of the appropriate board of study or, if necessary, with the associate or assistant dean, who then notifies the Office of the Registrar. (For grades issued in courses offered by the School of Liberal Studies & Continuing Education, students should contact the director of academic programs.)
- If a grade change involves an instructor who is no longer a member of the Purchase College faculty, the associate or assistant dean or the director of academic programs notifies the registrar.
- This procedure does not apply when a student is completing work formerly recorded with the Office of the Registrar as an incomplete (I).
- Because many colleges will not accept transfer credits for a course in which a student received a grade lower than “C,” occasionally a student will request a grade change in order to transfer the credits. This is not a valid reason or justification for a grade change.
- In exceptional cases, grades may be changed up to six months after the completion of a given semester. No grade changes are accepted after this date.
For updates or comments on the contents of this page…