Faculty Handbook 2016–17
draft in progress

Grades and Grading Policies

Grade Lists and Submission of Grades | Grading System
Repeating Courses | Grade Changes/Appeals

Grade Lists and Submission of Grades
Faculty members submit grades online under myHeliotrope on my.purchase.edu. If you have any difficulties accessing your class list, contact the Office of the Registrar.

All grades must be submitted no later than three days after the end of semester or session. The due date for each fall and spring semester’s grades is published in the academic calendar.

After grades have been submitted, they are available to students under myHeliotrope on my.purchase.edu. Grade reports are not mailed to students. To protect students’ privacy and comply with FERPA, grades cannot be posted (either by name or by the student’s Social Security number or by any other method that may reveal a student’s identity) or given out over the telephone.

Grading System
Detailed information on the grading system is available in the Purchase College Catalog under Academic Policies: Grading Policies and updates on the College Policies site.

Grades are described as follows:
A+, A, A- = Superior
B+, B, B- = Good
C+, C, C- = Satisfactory
D = Minimum Passing Grade
F = Failure
See below for:
– AU, W, WF, and I
– SP, UP, and NP
– CR
– P and NC

  • AU = Audit
    The audit (AU) grade is available to nonmatriculated continuing education students only. These students may audit credit courses with permission of the instructor, who determines the requirements for participation by the auditor. Auditors pay full tuition and fees. Additional information is available online on the School of Liberal Studies & Continuing Education site.
    Matriculated students may informally audit courses with permission of the instructor, but may not receive AU grades. Registration for the course is not permitted, and the course does not appear on the student’s academic record. Matriculated students who choose to audit a course may not register for the course later in the semester.

  • W = Withdrawal (without academic penalty)
    Chosen by the student, this grade is available up to the end of the ninth week of classes and signifies an official withdrawal without prejudice. It is not calculated in the GPA or used to calculate accumulated full-time equivalent status, but may affect program pursuit for financial aid purposes and eligibility for campus housing. The signature of the student’s advisor is required on the Course Withdrawal form. Freshmen must also consult with and obtain the signature of their associate/assistant dean on the withdrawal form; for more information, refer to the Freshman Withdrawal Policy. The signatures, which do not necessarily indicate approval, are required to provide information to the advisor and the college.

  • WF = Withdraw/Failure
    Assigned by the faculty member, this grade signifies nonattendance by a student and failure to petition for a W grade. Faculty members may use the following as a general guideline:
    1. If a student attended through the ninth week, he or she would not receive a WF, but rather an F or an NC, as is appropriate.
    2. If a student did not attend through the ninth week, he or she would receive a WF instead of an F.

    The WF grade is calculated as an F toward the GPA and does not count toward program pursuit for financial aid purposes.

  • I = Incomplete
    This grade indicates that a student and a faculty member have entered into an agreement that grants an extension of time to complete the requirements of the course. It is the student’s responsibility to request the “I” grade from the instructor. Students on academic probation are not eligible for incomplete grades. If granted, the instructor will enter the grade of “I” online via myHeliotrope on my.purchase.edu. The student must complete the coursework and the “Revised Grade” must be entered via myHeliotrope no later than four weeks after the end of the fall and spring semesters (three weeks after the end of a summer session). The exact date for each fall and spring semester is published in the academic calendar.
    1. Incompletes that are not resolved by the deadline date or given a further extension, approved by the appropriate administrator, will be converted to a failure (F) grade. Grade changes after the four-week period are discouraged as a matter of fairness to students who complete their work on time. For information on extensions of incomplete, refer to Grade of Incomplete: Procedure for Receiving in the grading policies section of the Purchase College Catalog.
    2. The credit value assigned at the time of registration is the credit value at the time the grade is submitted. Partial credit, whether for special or regular courses, is not given.
    3. An “I” grade counts toward program pursuit for financial aid purposes.

  • SP (Satisfactory Progress), UP (Unsatisfactory Progress), and NP (No Progress)
    Reserved for grading of Senior Project I. “SP” is assigned for satisfactory progress. “UP,” or unsatisfactory progress, is assigned to indicate that work is underway but is not meeting expectations. “NP,” or no progress, is assigned to indicate that little to no work has been completed and the student must retake Senior Project I.
    Note: A grade of “A+” through “F” is given for Senior Project II. In the event a grade of “F” is received, Senior Project II must be retaken.

  • CR = Credit
    For matriculated students who register for maintenance of matriculation or a SUNY study abroad program. The CR grade is not calculated in the GPA.

  • P and NC (Pass/No Credit Option)
    1. Matriculated students may elect one course (except those specified in #4 of this section) each semester to be graded on a pass/no credit (P/NC) basis. Summer session is considered a semester for this purpose. The P (Pass) or NC (No Credit) grade is not calculated in the GPA, but counts toward program pursuit for financial aid purposes.
    2. If a board of study requires that a course within the major be taken on a P/NC basis, then a student may elect a second course for P/NC in that same semester.
    3. A maximum of 32 credits of P/NC work counts toward the 120 credits required for graduation.
    4. The following courses cannot be taken on a P/NC basis: all core curriculum/general education courses; senior theses/projects; repeated courses; courses in one’s major (refer to #5 for exception).
    5. Boards of study may designate a few courses to be taken by all students on a P/NC basis. Courses so designated must be approved by the Educational Policies Committee. A board of study, at its discretion, may use pass/no credit grades for junior or senior seminars.
    6. No more than two liberal arts courses may be taken on a P/NC basis by students in the BFA and MusB programs (a total of 8 credits out of the minimum 30 credits required for graduation) during their four years at Purchase.
    7. Students must elect this option by the end of the third week of classes; please refer to the academic calendar for the deadline.
    8. Fall/Spring semesters only: If “P” (instead of “A”) appears in front of any student’s name on your grade list, that student should be graded “P” (pass) or “NC” (no credit).

Arrow up icon 

Repeating Courses
When a student repeats a Purchase College course, all grades received will remain on the official transcript, but only the highest grade received will be included in the quality and grade point average and the hours toward graduation. Students who have taken coursework before fall 2014 must file a Repeat Course form with the Office of the Registrar to ensure accuracy of their cumulative grade point average and official transcript. The grade excluded from the cumulative totals will be annotated with an “E” on the transcripts. The grade included in the cumulative totals will be annotated with an “I.” The repeated course, which is defined by the same course prefix and course number, must be repeated at Purchase College under the same grading system in order to be eligible for this policy. Therefore, courses previously taken and earned as transfer credit are not eligible for repeating.

Students receiving financial aid should be encouraged to check with the Office of Student Financial Services to avoid losing an award, especially when repeating a previously passed course (grade of D or higher).

Arrow up icon 

Grade Changes/Appeals
After an instructor has submitted a student’s grade to the Office of the Registrar via myHeliotrope, the grade may be changed only with the approval of the instructor and appropriate administrator: the associate dean in the School of Liberal Arts and Sciences, the assistant dean in the School of the Arts, or the director of academic programs in the School of Liberal Studies & Continuing Education. However, the final evaluation is the prerogative of the instructor.

  1. If there has been a clerical error or if the student believes that the grade received is inaccurate, the student should discuss the evaluation with the instructor.
  2. After consulting with the instructor, if the student has further questions regarding the grade, the student should discuss them with the chair or director of the student’s school or conservatory. The chair or director may, if appropriate, arrange a discussion with the instructor. However, the final grade is the prerogative of the instructor.
  3. If a grade dispute involves an instructor who is no longer a member of the Purchase College faculty, the associate or assistant dean or the director of academic programs may adjudicate the matter.
  4. In exceptional cases, grades may be changed up to six months after the completion of a given semester. No grade changes are accepted after this date.

Updated June 9, 2016

Arrow up icon 

For updates or comments on the contents of this pageā€¦