Tuition Waiver, Tuition Assistance, and Scholarship Programs
SUNY Employee Tuition Waiver Program
All SUNY and Research Foundation employees (who work at least half-time) are eligible to apply for reimbursement through the SUNY Employee Tuition Waiver Program. Through this program, employees can receive partial reimbursement for a maximum of six credits per semester for courses taken at any four-year SUNY institution. Tuition waivers are processed about a month before the beginning of the fall and spring semesters and the summer session.
- The amount of tuition waiver granted depends upon the number of applicants and is subject to the availability of state funding.
- This tuition waiver may not be used in conjunction with any other tuition assistance for the same course.
Tuition Assistance “Space Available” Program
UUP-represented employees may take one course per semester (including summer session) on a tuition-free basis, provided that space is available in the desired course section and the employee meets any course prerequisites. The employee is responsible for paying all fees other than tuition.
- Employees interested in taking a course at Purchase College under this program should obtain an application from the Office of the Registrar in Enrollment Services (Student Services Building, First Floor).
- UUP employees interested in taking a course under this program at another SUNY institution should contact the registration office at that campus for details. The other campus usually will ask for a letter verifying employment in a UUP position. The Office of Human Resources at Purchase will provide that letter at the employee’s request.
UUP and AFT Scholarship Programs
There are currently two types of scholarships available:
- The UUP College Scholarship Fund provides funding aid to both undergraduate and postbaccalaureate students attending SUNY campuses. For information, please visit uupinfo.org/scholarships/scholarship.php.
- The Robert G. Porter Scholars Program is funded through the American Federation of Teachers (AFT). Programs are available for both UUP bargaining unit members and their dependents. For information, please visit www.aft.org/benefits/scholarships.cfm.
The monies funding the UUP Benefit Trust Fund’s scholarship program ended with the expiration of 2007–2011 NYS/UUP Agreement. The Fund hopes to reinstate the program if state monies become available in the future.
For updates or comments on the contents of this page…