Grant Application Procedures
1. Please call our office for an appointment as soon as you begin to think about seeking sponsored funds for your project. We will assist you in doing research, understanding the sponsor agency guidelines, and developing a plan to get your proposal submitted on time.
2. We will ask you to complete an Intent to Submit a Proposal form, which provides the Office of Sponsored Research with the information we need to:
- determine if anyone else on campus is planning to approach the sponsor/program so that a coordinated effort may be planned
- plan for the various tasks which need to be carried out by Sponsored Research in order to meet the application deadline:
- Talk with faculty/staff about the program
- Read the program solicitation/guidelines
- Prepare certifications and other items required by the sponsor
- Review the budget
- Review the proposal
- Get a letter of support from the president, etc.
3. Approximately 10 business days before the deadline date, your final proposal and budget will need to be submitted to the Office of Sponsored Research, along with the Application for Grant form. The Application for Grant form includes the following signatures of approval:
- Project director – the faculty or staff member submitting the proposal
- Director of Sponsored Research reviews the budget for accuracy and compliance with fringe benefit rate, indirect cost, cost sharing and other requirements
- Head of the department or school approves the time commitment made by their staff and other commitments such as facility space, supplies or materials their school/division will provide as part of the project
- Appropriate vice president or the provost ensures that the project fits the goals of Purchase College’s Strategic Plan and approves the cost sharing responsibilities
- Operations Manager for the Research Foundation of SUNY approves the application on behalf of the Research Foundation of SUNY, the organization that will be legally responsible for the grant or contract.
This approval process is required because accepting sponsored research funds constitutes a legal contract. Every application for funds has to be approved to ensure that it is consistent with the college’s strategic goals and is in compliance with the regulations of the Sponsoring Agency, Research Foundation of the State University of New York, and SUNY. The Application for Grant Form becomes part of the official grant file and is reviewed by auditors.