International Student Services


Violation of status means that you have broken an immigration rule for F-1 students or J-1 exchange visitors. If this occurs, you will lose the benefits of your status in the U.S., including the possibility of working in the U.S.

What Causes You to Violate or "fall out of" Status?

  1. Your passport has expired.

  2. You are not attending the school you were authorized to attend - the one which issued the I-20 or IAP-66 you used to enter the United States,

  3. You do not follow the correct procedures for continuing from one educational level to another or for transferring from one school to another,

  4. You drop below full time in any semester without first obtaining permission,

  5. You work off campus without proper authorization,

  6. You work on or off campus for more than 20 hours a week when school is in session, though you obtained permission to be employed,

  7. Your program completion date has passed and you have not filed for a program extension,

  8. You do not attend school during the academic year.