International Student Services


Automatic Revalidation of Status

If you want to visit Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean for less than 30 days and are not a citizen of the country you intend to visit, you may travel there even with an expired visa, but you must be certain that the I-94 card is not removed from your passport before leaving the U.S.

You must take the following documents:

  • A valid passport (valid for at least 6 months into the future).

  • A valid endorsed I-20 or IAP-66, as appropriate.

  • Evidence of return transportation arrangements.

  • Sufficient funds for length of stay in Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean.

  • Evidence of status in the U.S. as shown by an F-1 or J-1 Visa and/or the I-94 form.

  • A tourist visa for the country to be visited, if needed.

You may need to obtain a tourist visa to enter these countries depending on your nationality. Information concerning tourist visas (and which nationalities are required to obtain visas) can be obtained by calling the consulate general of the country you wish to visit. All required information will be explained on a recording. If a tourist visa is required, go in person to the consulate to make the application. Be sure to give yourself sufficient time before your trip to obtain the visa.

Travel to a third country is not permitted with automatic revalidation.