International Student Services

Severe Economic Hardship Employment

If other employment opportunities are insufficient or not available, you may request off-campus work authorization based on severe economic hardship.

*You must have been in F-1 status for at least 9 months or one full academic year.

*You must be able to prove with documentation that you are experiencing economic hardship caused by unforeseen circumstances beyond your control.
These circumstances may include loss of financial aid (assistantship, scholarship, etc.), substantial fluctuations in the value of currency or exchange rate, large increases in tuition and/or living costs, unexpected changes in the financial condition of your source of support, medical bills, or other substantial or unexpected expenses

*The Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) upon the recommendation of the International Student Advisor authorize employment in the form of an Employment Authorization Document (EAD).

This application is sent to the regional INS office in Vermont. It may take 2 to 3 months for a response.