International Student Services


If you are an F-1 student and you find, during the course of your time at Purchase, that you will not finish your studies by the completion date on your I-20, you must file for a program extension. This must be done during the 30 days prior to the completion date.

You must complete:

*An I-538 form
*Obtain a letter of explanation from your department
*Submit new financial documentation to the International Students Advisor

If you are a J-1 exchange visitor, extensions can be granted if you have not exceeded the normal time limits for a particular program. New financial documentation will need to be submitted with a letter of explanation from your academic department and a new IAP-66 will be issued by the SUNY-Buffalo office.