International Student Services


There are two general types of J-1 student employment. Please read the following information carefully.

Eligibility and Application Requirements

  • Before starting to work, you must first obtain approval in writing from the J-1 Responsible Officer who represents your J-1 sponsor and issues your Form IAP-66.
  • For students with Purchase IAP-66 Forms, the Response Officer is at SUNY-Buffalo.
  • Before approval, your J-1 Responsible Officer is required by regulation to evaluate the proposed employment in the context of your program and your personal circumstances, and then decide its appropriateness.

Correspondence with SUNY-Buffalo is handled through Purchase International Student Services.