International Student Services


"Employment" is any type of work performed or services provided in exchange for money, tuition, fees, books, supplies, room, food or any other benefit. If you receive no pay or other benefit for work performed, this activity is not defined as "employment" but is considered to be "unpaid" or "volunteer" work.

Employment is possible for students on F and J visas in some cases. This section gives an overview of the options and the requirements for each. It is very important that you obtain the appropriate permission from the International Student Advisor prior to starting a job off campus.

Be sure to read the sections on ITIN, Social Security Numbers and Taxes as they apply to both F and J students.