International Student Services

Academic Training

"Academic Training" is flexible in its format and offers a variety of employment situations to supplement your academic program in the United States. It is available before completion of your program of study as well as afterwards. As long as you stay within the stipulated time limits, it lets you work part-time while classes are in session and full-time when school is not in session, for example during vacation period. Under certain circumstances, you may interrupt study or work full-time, for example, while you are writing a thesis. J-1 students in non-degree programs are eligible for "Academic Training."

"Academic Training" may be authorized when:

  • Your primary purpose in the United States is study rather than "Academic Training."

  • You are in good academic standing at the school named on your IAP-66 form.

  • The proposed employment is directly related to your major field of study.

  • Throughout your "Academic Training" you maintain permission to stay in the United States, in J-1student status, and apply for extensions as necessary.

  • You maintain health insurance coverage for yourself and any J-2 dependents throughout your "Academic Training."

Your employment may be authorized for "the length of time necessary to complete the goals and objectives of the training, provided that the amount of time … is approved by [both] the academic dean or advisor and …the responsible officer," to quote the regulations. It may not exceed "the period of full course of study" or 18 months, whichever is shorter. Additional "Academic Training" beyond the 18 month limit is allowed only if it is required for the degree.

Part-time employment for "Academic Training" counts against the 18 month limit the same as full-time employment; however, earning more than one degree does not increase your eligibility for "Academic Training."