The Environmental Studies BA Program
Making a Difference: The Natural World and Human Society
Environmental scientists understand the scope and severity of the problems facing human society. We also now recognize the importance of considering people’s beliefs and preferences in the search for solutions to preserve the natural systems on which all life relies.
The environmental studies BA program at Purchase College reflects this new, interdisciplinary focus on the interactions among the sociopolitical, economic, and ecological systems where the natural world and human society overlap. This new approach offers challenges and opportunities for those motivated to help improve the health of our environment and the quality of human existence.
The program culminates in the senior project—a research project undertaken in collaboration with a faculty member. Senior research projects vary widely in topic and method, but all incorporate a common theme: environmental impacts cannot be addressed without consideration of human society.
Check out what some of our alumni have to say…
And listen to what our students have to say:
Five Reasons to Choose Environmental Studies at Purchase College
- Learn by Doing: A hands-on approach to science enables you to learn by doing. Our program also emphasizes practical, real-world problems.
- Individual Attention: Regular faculty office hours and small class sizes ensure individualized attention.
- Educational Excellence: Our faculty members are respected researchers and excellent teachers. Co-authors of research publications may include undergraduate students.
- Faculty Mentoring: Each student works closely with a faculty member to plan and conduct the senior research project, a stepping stone toward employment or postgraduate education.
- Value: Tuition and fees are 70–85 percent less than private programs of comparable quality in the tri-state area.