Academic Programs
CE main Join Mailing List
Home / Academic Programs / LSCE / General Information

Continuing Education SUNY Purchase College Banner

Grades and Transcripts

Letter grades

Grading system
Students receive letter grades in credit courses: A+, A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D, or F. The grades AU, P/NC, W, and WF are described below.

  • Audit (AU)
    Nonmatriculated students may audit credit courses with permission of the instructor, who determines the requirements for participation by the auditor. Auditors pay full tuition and fees.
    To audit a credit course:
    1. register and pay for the course in the usual manner;
    2. obtain verbal permission from your instructor at the first class; and
    3. give your instructor a written request to audit before the end of the third week of classes.
    Your instructor will assign an “AU” grade after completion of the course. (Academic credit will not be awarded unless you repeat the course during another term.)
    Senior citizen auditing: If you are at least 60 years of age and a New York resident, refer to Senior Citizen Auditors for information on tuition-free auditing of on-campus credit courses.
  • Pass/No Credit (P/NC)
    Students who are matriculated at Purchase College may choose to have one course graded on a pass/no credit (“P/NC”) basis each semester, including summer session. ALL NONCREDIT COURSES ARE GRADED ON A PASS/NO CREDIT ("P/NC") BASIS. Nonmatriculated students taking credit courses are not eligible for this grading option.
  • Withdrawal (W/WF)
    To withdraw from courses without academic penalty or late fees after the add/drop period, students must formally apply for withdrawal during the withdrawal period. Students who stop attending credit courses without formally withdrawing by the published deadline receive a “WF” grade, which equals an “F” in computing grade point averages.

Grades are obtained online at Grade reports are mailed only at the written request of the student.

Requesting a Change of Grade (Office of Enrollment Services: Registrar)

How to Obtain a Grade Transcript (Office of Enrollment Services: Registrar)
Purchase College credits are applicable toward degree programs elsewhere at the discretion of the degree-granting institution.

Arrow up icon