The Literature BA Program |
Academic Requirements | Student Learning Outcomes |
Minor in Literature | Courses Sequences for the Major and Minor | Courses: 1000–2999 | Courses: 3000–3999 |
Courses: 4000–4999 |
The Literature BA Program: Academic Requirements
In addition to meeting general degree requirements, literature majors must complete a minimum of 10 literature courses, plus an 8-credit senior project, as outlined below (at least 45 credits total).
Of the 10 courses:
- LIT 1520/Introduction to Literature is strongly recommended for freshmen considering the literature major.
- No more than two may be taken through the School of Liberal Studies & Continuing Education, with permission of advisor.
- At least five must be at the 3000 or 4000 level.
- At least four must be taken at Purchase College.
- LIT 2450/Colloquium I: Studies in Literature
Generally taken in the second year; transfer students who want to major in literature must complete this course during their first semester at Purchase.
- Three courses in the literature sequence (courses that emphasize issues of history and period): One each from sequence I (before 1750), II (1750–1900), and III (1900–present)
- One course in Shakespeare
- LIT 4450/Colloquium II: Advanced Studies in Literature
Generally taken in the second semester of the junior year.
- LIT 4885/Senior Project Seminar
- SPJ 4990/Senior Project I
- SPJ 4991/Senior Project II
Additional notes for literature majors:
- All courses taken to satisfy major requirements, excluding the senior project, must be completed with a grade of C or higher.
- Certain courses in language and culture and in theatre and performance (THP prefix) may fulfill the requirements. These courses are cross-referenced in the list of literature courses.
- Students may count toward the major up to 8 credits of writing courses at the 3000 or 4000 level. Writing courses at the 2000 level may not be counted toward the major requirements.
- Students may not use the required Shakespeare course to satisfy the Sequence I requirement.
Updates to the 2013–15 College Catalog:
Effective Fall 2014:
- The senior project (formerly LIT 4990, two semesters, 8 credits total) is now SPJ 4990/Senior Project I and SPJ 4991/Senior Project II, 4 credits each.
- One course on Shakespeare added to the requirements for the major (minimum 3-credit increase).
Updated March 20, 2014
Please direct updates for this page to the managing editor in the Office of the Provost and Academic Affairs. For curricular revisions, please refer to the Faculty Handbook.