The Language & Culture BA Program & Minors |
Academic Requirements | Student Learning Outcomes | Faculty |
Foreign Language Placement Guidelines
The Language and Culture BA Program: Student Learning Outcomes
- Fluency in the chosen language at all levels is the major outcome for this program.
- Familiarity with civilizations, their languages and dialects, cultural issues, social thought, history, politics.
- Close reading of literary texts, demonstrating an attentiveness to literariness, as well as the challenges of deciphering cultural differences.
- Texts in their contexts, including the diversity of different geographical, historical, ethnic and cultural environments.
- Conducting research.
- Periodicity and canon formation, familiarizing students with major authors, literary trends, and the evolution of literary genres in history.
- Writing and reporting, including being able to carry out conversations, give oral reports, present information in the target language, as well as translating and composing short papers.
Please direct updates for this page to the managing editor in the Office of the Provost and Academic Affairs. Because internal and external links may change or expire from time to time, please report any changed or broken links to the managing editor as well.