The Gender Studies BA Program | Academic Requirements | Student Learning Outcomes | Minor in Gender Studies | The Senior Project | Courses | Faculty
The Gender Studies BA Program: Academic Requirements
In addition to meeting general degree requirements, all gender studies majors must complete a minimum of seven courses with a grade of C or higher and an 8-credit senior project (31–36 credits total), as follows.
- GND 1200/Introduction to Gender and Sexuality: 4 credits
- Five electives in gender studies: 15–20 credits
- One theory course: 4 credits
- GND 4990/Senior Project I: 4 credits
- GND 4991/Senior Project II: 4 credits
Note: A methods course and an internship are highly recommended.
Examples of Electives
Courses in the following list are subject to change, and new courses may be added. Students should consult with their faculty advisor when choosing electives. Effective Fall 2014, gender studies courses appear under the prefix of the originating discipline only (e.g., POL for political science).
- School of Film and Media Studies:
- CIN 3540/Queer Cinema
- MSA 3120/Riot Grrls and Radical Women
- MSA 3160/Queer Media Convergence
- School of Humanities:
- ARH 2885/Women Artists and Feminist Criticism
- ARH/ 3885/Feminist Approaches to Art and Theory
- HIS 2490/Women in America
- HIS 3080/The Lives of Women
- HIS 3115/Sex Radicals in the 19th-Century U.S.
- HIS 3375/“Aren’t I a Woman?”: The Construction of
Womanhood in the U.S.
- HIS 3685/Sex and Gender in Latin America
- HIS 3695/History of Gender and Sexuality in the United States
- HIS 3727/History of Feminist Movements
- HIS 3730/Wives, Widows, Workers
- HIS 3740/Wives, Workers, Warriors
JST/GND 3235/Women in the Biblical/Ancient World (GND
crosslisting removed 12/09/13)
- LIT 3004/Lesbian and Gay Poetry
- LIT 3025/Women and Film
- LIT 3665/American Women Writers
- School of Natural and Social Sciences:
- ANT 2755/Global Sexualities
- ANT 3610/Gender and Popular Culture in South Asia
- POL 2040/Women and Politics
- POL 2015/Citizens Living Under Islamic Laws
- POL 2350/Free Speech, Heresy, and Gender in Islamic
- POL 3045/Sex, Politics, and Health
- POL3090/Race, Gender, and the Law
POL/GND 3240/Gender Politics and Islam (discontinued
- POL 3245/Gender and Health: International Issues
- POL 3255/Islamic State, Gender, and Sexuality (reinstated
- PSY 2860/Psychology of Women
- PSY 3845/Gender Development
- SOC 2020/Human Sexuality
- SOC 2210/Sociology of Gender
- SOC 3035/Birth and Death
- SOC 3705/Masculinities: Feminist Perspectives
- SOC 3755/Sexuality and Society
- Conservatory of Theatre Arts:
- THP 3300/Women in Performance
- THP 3520/Gay and Lesbian Theatre and Performance
- THP 3600/Women and Drama
Examples of Theory Courses
Courses in the following list are subject to change, and new courses may be added. Students should consult with their faculty advisor when choosing the theory course.
- PHI 2500/Gender and Power
- GND 3130/Feminist Theory
- PHI 3725/Theories of Sexuality
Updates to the 2013–15 College Catalog:
Effective Fall 2014:
- The senior project (formerly GND 4990, two semesters, 8 credits total) is now GND 4990/Senior Project I and GND 4991/Senior Project II, 4 credits each.
Updated March 7, 2014
Please direct updates for this page to the managing editor in the Office of the Provost and Academic Affairs. For curricular revisions, please refer to the Faculty Handbook.