PURCHASE COLLEGE CATALOG 2016–18
Draft in progress
The Mathematics/Computer Science BA Program:
Students majoring in mathematics/computer science usually begin with a three-semester calculus sequence: Calculus I, II, and III. Students seeking placement beyond Calculus I should consult with a member of the faculty. Placement is determined by interviews and transcripts. Precalculus is offered for those lacking the necessary background for Calculus I.
In addition to meeting general degree requirements, students majoring in mathematics/computer science must complete each of the following requirements. A grade of C- or higher* is required in these courses, excluding the senior project:
- MAT 1500, 1510, and 3150/Calculus I, II, and III
- MAT 1520 and 1540/Computer Science I and II
- MAT 3170/Linear Algebra
- Five upper-level electives (20 credits) in mathematics/computer science. One of the four electives may be fulfilled by a tutorial or independent study.
- Two science courses
- MAT 4880/Mathematics Senior Seminar I
- MAT 4890/Mathematics Senior Seminar II
- SPJ 4990/Senior Project I
- SPJ 4991/Senior Project II
*Note: In some MAT courses, a minimum grade of C is required in the prerequisite course(s). For example, the prerequisite for MAT 1510 is a minimum grade of C in MAT 1500. The C grade minimum is stated in the prerequisite when applicable.
For updates during 2016–2018, please visit www.purchase.edu/