Minors in the Philosophy Program
Two minors are offered by the Philosophy Program:
- Philosophy and the Arts
Students interested in pursuing a minor offered by the philosophy program should submit a completed Application for a Program of Minor Study (available at www.purchase.edu/registrar, under “Forms”) to the coordinator of the Philosophy Board of Study. Upon admission to the minor, the student will be assigned a minor advisor from the philosophy faculty.
Minor in Philosophy
This minor is designed for students with a general interest in philosophy.
Academic Requirements for the Minor in Philosophy
Five courses, to include:
- PHI 1515/History of Philosophy I
- One other course in the history of philosophy (e.g., PHI 2110, 3211, or 3212)
- Three elective courses in philosophy (including two at the 3000 or 4000 level), to be chosen in consultation with the minor advisor
Minor in Philosophy and the Arts
This minor is designed for students with a particular interest in philosophy and the arts.
Academic Requirements for the Minor in Philosophy and the Arts
Six courses, to include:
- Three arts-related philosophy courses, chosen from the list below
- Two additional courses in philosophy*
- One complementary course in studio art or art history*
*These courses are to be chosen in consultation with the minor advisor.
Arts-Related Philosophy Courses
- PHI 1720/Tragedy and Philosophy
- PHI 2780/Philosophy of Art: From Plato to Postmodernism
- PHI 2835/Happiness: Philosophy, Film, Literature
- PHI 3120/Fantasy, Film, and Reality
- PHI 3275/Light and Truth: Film, Photography, and Reality
- PHI 3510/Theory and Drama
- PHI 3650/Philosophy and Literature
- PHI 3716/Philosophy and Film
- PHI 3785/Art and Morality
For updates during 2013–2015, please visit www.purchase.edu/
| << School of Humanities home