The Cinema Studies BA Program: Academic Requirements
In addition to meeting general degree requirements, all cinema studies majors must meet the following requirements (53–54 credits):
- CIN 1500/Introduction to Cinema Studies I (4 credits)
- CIN 1510/Introduction to Cinema Studies II (4 credits)
- One art history course (3–4 credits), chosen from the following or approved by the cinema studies program coordinator:
ARH 1020/History of Art Survey II
ARH 1060/Touchstones of Modern Art
ARH 1070/The Work of Images: The Function of Art in Western Culture
ARH 2050/Introduction to Modern Art
ARH 2060/Art Since 1945
- One of the following courses (4 credits):
CIN 2000/Close Analysis
CIN 2240/Research Practicum: Silent Cinema
CIN 2500/Principles of Montage
- Six upper-level elective courses in cinema studies* (24 credits total)
*Learning assistantships, internships, and independent studies cannot be used to satisfy this requirement.
- CIN 3890/Cinema Studies Junior Seminar (4 credits)
- CIN 4890/Cinema Studies Senior Colloquium (2 credits)
- SPJ 4990/Senior Project I (4 credits)
- SPJ 4991/Senior Project II (4 credits)
- A grade of B or higher is required in CIN 1500 and 1510.
- To advance to the sophomore year, students must pass a qualifying examination in film history and aesthetics, which is given at the end of the freshman year.
For updates during 2016–2018, please visit www.purchase.edu/
<< School of Film & Media Studies home