PURCHASE COLLEGE CATALOG 2016–18
Draft in progress
The Theatre and Performance BA Program: Academic Requirements
In addition to meeting general degree requirements, all theatre and performance majors must meet the following requirements (45–49 credits). Students who declare this major must earn a grade of C or higher in all courses required for the major, excluding the senior project. To progress in the major, students who do not meet this minimum grade standard must repeat the course(s).
Six foundation courses: 18 credits
- THP 2020/Introduction to Theatre and Performance Studies: 3 credits
- THP 2200/Theatre and Performance Production: 2 credits*
*This is a 1-credit course that must be taken twice
- THP 2205/Shakespeare Then and Now: 3 credits
- THP 2885/Theatre Histories I: 3 credits
- THP 2890/Theatre Histories II: 3 credits
- THP 2895/Production Practicum: 4 credits
Five elective courses: 16–20 credits
Students choose five electives in consultation with their faculty advisor. Independent studies and internships cannot be used to satisfy this requirement. At least three of these electives must be upper level (3000 or 4000), including at least one in dramatic literature or theory. In most cases, courses taken to fulfill this upper-level electives requirement also fulfill the senior project prerequisites.
Synthesis courses: 11 credits
- THP 3890/Junior Seminar: 3 credits
- SPJ 4990/Senior Project I: 4 credits
- SPJ 4991/Senior Project II: 4 credits
Internships and study abroad are highly recommended. Courses in other disciplines (outside the major) may count toward requirements for the major if approved in advance by the faculty coordinator.
Transfer students may meet some requirements for the major with courses taken elsewhere, subject to approval by the faculty coordinator and the registrar.
For updates during 2016–2018, please visit www.purchase.edu/